Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - Films


Thirteen Things about 2007 Cinema


It's just past the Oscars now, so what better subject for the Thursday Thirteen than films ... Looking to pick out what I thought notable over the past year or so for this one :

1 - Transformers. Great action and they just about get away with putting in their own origins here. It's rare that a movie conversion can use its comic origins as written and this one is no exception. But they did a very good job with what they did do.
2 - Camera work ... Yes, shakeycam does make you feel as if you're there but like a lot of fads, it'll often get taken to excess. Plus it would be good to see the action in fights in films like Transformers instead of just seeing a blur.
3 - The "It's Different" prize - not seen a film like Sweeney Todd for a while ... Helena Bonham-Carter must have had an absolute ball doing this one :-) And the CrazieBoys definitely enjoyed watching.
4 - Remembering ... Elizabeth Golden Age let us remember one of the pivotal periods of British history. Must look up the history books to see what really happened.
5 - Most Charming Animation - Ratatouille. Ok, some bits make you cringe but most of it made us laugh. Plus there's the Pixar introduction short movie, this one is one of their best.
6 - Interesting Beginning - Golden Compass. May have to acquire the books from these ...
7 - Characters I'd Most Like To Be A Slave Of - a tie between Michelle Pfeiffer's Lamia and Angelina Jolie's Grendel Mommy. Life expectancy might be a bit limited however.
8 - Film I was happiest to miss - Pirates 3.
9 - Film I unfortunately didn't miss - Spiderman 3.
10 - Best non-human character - Pantalaimon. The way that little demon shifts between forms on screen is incredible.
11 - The 'Did That Really Happen?' award - American Gangster. Good film this one, almost as good as The Departed which I missed at the cinema.
12 - Beowulf for raising the bar on CGI again.
13 - Most Wanted on dvd - Bourne Ultimatum.

There's a few films I missed this year. Movies like Across The Universe and Atonement. Plus I successfully avoided watching No Country For Old Men and a few other potential turkeys.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


1. The Bluest Butterfly
2. Happy Mama To Three
3. Monday Through Sunday

Non-Thirteeners please also leave comments (and maybe an idea for next week !)

7 comments:

  1. 13 Great Rugby Moments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ... But I don't think I'd remember enough of them and properly enough to be able to describe them ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love movies. Ratatouille was excellent. I thought I am Legend was quite good as well.

    Great TT.

    Cindi
    My tt is up and running

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doh - I forgot all about I Am Legend. Not a horrible film but I was remembering Omega Man all the way ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to see Bourne Ultimatum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:09 pm

    hello! Michele sent me!

    Your post reminds me how many films I missed and still want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, Spiderman 3 was pretty dire. Ib fact I felt extrememly disappointed with mosy of the Hollywood 'blockbusters' last year.

    If you didn't see 'Surf's Up' I suggest you check it out. Made me laugh. A lot.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.