Saturday, February 09, 2008

Contrasts

I'm seeing a big contrast between the two multiplayer online games I've had a big involvement with :

Eve - the people I know in the game are fantastic people. They make me laugh and the occasional meetings up in the local are good fun. Trouble is, I'm not playing that game any more because I found it extremely tedious.

World of Warcraft - the game up to maximum level is decent, with good variation. Trouble is, because it's so easy to pick up and play, it gets infested by idiots. And because you're forced to go in groups to experience the end game content, you have to manage the idiots to be able to play.

So on the one hand - Eve : tedious game, great people
World of Warcraft : good game, tedious people

There are exceptions with Wow - there's a certain person in VR who I firmly believe is an angel who is visiting us for a little while. Plus there's the people I started the Mercs with and a few selected others. (The Scottish crowd, the Portuguese group and a few others too). There's not many of the Guildlink people who I'd pass the time of day with but there's exceptions there too - Sam, Aella and Tananka, take a bow :-).

What's prompted this post is a thread by a certain Jacobus Flint (in game Eve name) that made me laugh out loud this morning. I won't link it cos not many people looking here will have the access to see it and I won't quote it cos it's delightfully non-PC.

2 comments:

  1. Got here from Michele. Seems a interesting contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [chuckle] Something else that's driving me away from the multiplayer stuff is my internet connection - it's not exactly reliable ..

    I should really be getting back to books - I don't have nearly a big a book queue as my neighbour (CK) but I should still really make a dent in it.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.