Friday, February 08, 2008

Gamer Frustration

Warcraft is pretty addictive, I was well and truly hooked for a couple of years before the last expansion changed the rules around a bit. I still come on to help the guild I started in raids but to be painfully honest, I'm not sure if it's the guild I started any more. Things change as they grow and we had to grow to get some independence. The alliance we were in became a burden and we had to leave it. Trouble is, since we left, we've probably grown too much and we're not too good at cutting out the people who get in the way.

Which leads to frustration ... The way Warcraft is built now, it's essential that everyone coming along on a raid does their part, be that in following the plan or just plain paying attention. It gets highly frustrating when problems come due to people not following that plan or not paying attention. Which leads to people tearing their hair out, leading to posts like this one.

game 1 (gm)n.
1. An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.

If the entertainment value of a game gets overridden by irritation with the people you're playing the game with, then you have to ask if that game is worth playing. A year or so ago, I'd have shrugged off the frustration and gone right back into thumping those monsters. Now, I'm not too sure that it's worth the bother. Plenty of other things to do out there ...

It doesn't help that my internet connection has gone unreliable. I was kicked off the net for about 15 mins/half an hour earlier, with little to do but fire up iTunes again and listen to some music while watching the modem lights flash.

Looking ahead - it's the Fryday Morning FatBoy breakfast day tomorrow, which always cheers me up. Must be the bacon - it sends me hyperactive !

(addon) One highlight from tonight though was a conversation with one of our tank characters. He was complementing me on keeping one mob under control all the way through the fight. I think he was impressed that at one point, I had it under control despite not being logged into the game ! Disconnected halfway through but managed to get back in again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.