Thursday, February 14, 2008

Aches n painz

Because of a youth spent running around doing healthy stuff without putting in the training work to prepare for it, I've been left with a few legacies ... I've injured pretty much every piece of my body, the last one to go was my head, which was Wake Up Call Number 2. I've had broken, cracked or dislocated bones coming well into double figures now and I've torn or pulled or cramped most of my muscles.

Most days, I can ignore it as I'm only feeling 2 or 3 of my more long term injury legacies. Others are more of a struggle though, like today. There's a bug going around work at the moment, which I think is why some of the other aches have crept up on me and said "hello - you're going to pay attention to me today". Being run down tends to lessen the resistance. I could take painkillers but refuse to, the drugs act as a mask which would make me feel ok. However feeling ok would be rather dangerous for me because I'd put those unhappy bones and muscles through things they wouldn't like, they'd get worse in the long run. So I avoid painkillers, partly cos I know what I'd be like on them, partly because I have no intention of getting hooked on any drug except caffeine or cocoa.

It's not been too bad a day though, I got to see the person who helped me out almost 3 years ago when I had a confidence crisis. Shame she was getting coffee with some bloke. I didn't actually stick around but I did get a wave, which cheered me up. Plus we had some good fun banter going around the office. The team I work in gets on really well together, we are comfortable enough that we can banter and not poke wounds that would lead to unnecessary irritation.

Was a busier than average day too, gotta get a staff report done, plus the monthly finance numbers (why do I nearly always put fiance instead of finance ?) needed doing. I'm a victim of having a good idea there - I did some graphs for my finance area to help me figure out what was happening and before I knew it, Da Management went "that looks good, can you do them for the rest of the team too please ?" It lets me keep an eye on people so I'm ok with running those numbers.

Tomorrow should be interesting. Hopefully we'll get enough interested people for hitting the canteen for a bacon breakfast. My boss's boss leaves the project and we have a tradition of giving people a certificate summing up their more comical misdeeds when they go. Guess who makes the certificates :-). I can't show an example because they'd give away too much about what my work is, which would get a few people irritated with me. I have a few worky type things to do but after that I'll be looking to disappear as early in the afternoon as I can get away with.

The rushing around today actually helped - it gave me an adrenaline charge that helps me with ignoring the various half healed injuries. Doesn't make standing up or starting to move any easier though ! Plus I get strange looks when I start cussing myself when limping down the corridor. I'm cussing myself for limping usually or as a distraction from the feeling of being poked in the ribs with a carving knife.

So - a day of trying to ignore pain as much as possible. Will hopefully get back into a more positive frame of mind soon, instead of the tending towards depression track that I'm in at the moment.

PS Valentine card check - empty. Quite possibly another cause for me feeling run down. Maybe next year ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.