Wednesday, February 27, 2008

GPS Toy

I'm quite impressed with the latest toy acquisition ... I wrote here that I'd managed to break my satnav (I blame old age). I thought it would cost me a lot more than £25 to fix but Amazon managed to surprise me there.


Picked it up this morning and promptly went stir crazy at work wanting to have a play with it. Trouble is, it has to be near a window to see satellites, these don't work too well indoors. The new toy is the box on the left that's caught my flash. It talks to the iPaq on the right, which has the satnav software installed. The graph on the pic shows how well the receiver is seeing the satellites, when it can see about 3-4 it can get a position fix.

I had a chance to have a play on the way home, after bouncing off the walls at work. Was quite impressed to have Ms Whiplash on the SatNav barking orders even before I'd gotten out the car park ... That's fast - especially for a fresh receiver :-)

Other bits in the pic (it should expand into something bigger on a click) are :
  • My laptop that's 6 years old now ... still with its shop stickers !
  • iTunes showing what I was listening to :-)
  • Evidence of how cluttered this place is ...
  • One of my guilty secrets.
The gps unit is a BlueNext unit, ordered on the 23rd from Amazon UK, with the Post Office "we-tried-to-deliver" card coming through the door on the 26th. I'm hoping it succeeds its road test over this coming weekend ...

Also worth a peek :

Disintegrating wind turbine caught on camera - from The Register. Spectacular !

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed that your stickers have stayed in place. Enjoy your new toy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [chuckle] Original stickers but could do with :
    New trackpad,
    New cd drive
    New battery
    More memory

    It's a tired old thing but it's still good for web browsing and iTunes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, LOL...I don't have a clue to any of the things you mentioned...I am very behind the times here....BUT, I did notice the name BELKIN over on the left....One of my oldest friends in the world, now dead, was named Belkin....! What is that for?

    I like your idea of a Blogger Hosted Oscar thingy for next year....How would you go about it? It could be dun! And a "virtual" Oscar Party at CQ's??? (I'm sure she will love me volunteering her...lol...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OY! Not "dun"...It should read "FUN"....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol - my laptop is so old it predates all these wireless wifi widgets that are around :-)

    The Belkin is how I get the laptop connecting up to the internet. I still have a cable draped over the back of the sofa but the wireless thing is just more elegant :-)

    Might need a neutral email dropbox for figuring out nominations and voting if we ran one (next year I think!)

    Definitely going to think about running a Blogger Oscars :-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.