Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Advent Day 6 - Tiny Transport

At least I think it's a tiny transport ...
There was a time when I would have known a significant amount of the Star Wars lore. Before the Disney times when they ripped up the stories from the books and replaced it with new lore from series like Rebels and Clone Wars.

I enjoyed a fair few of the older Star Wars books, although some of the others earned their authors a case of eternal contempt (deserved) and the New Jedi Order Yuuzhan Vong books wrecked the series for me.


Let's see :
Timothy Zahn - Heir to the Empire trilogy - smart stories, good characters, an amazing villain. Just happened to be set in the Star Wars universe.
Michael Stackpole - the XWing Rogue Squadron series were fantastic books that slotted in during the years after Return of the Jedi. These were all about the characters, who were led by a minor character from the films, Wedge Antilles. I really enjoyed reading these books although ...
Aaron Allston - he wrote a follow up series of XWing books based around a different squadron, Wraith squadron. These were the dirty dozen of the Star Wars universe and the stories were even more compelling than those from Michael Stackpole.

Some of these authors deliver stellar work when allowed to play in other people's universes. Other authors, not so much. I felt like the Kevin J Anderson Star Wars books were pointless and went as far as insulting the reader.

I've just rewatched Empire Strikes Back tonight. It's a good film, many Star Wars fans think that it's the best of the series. Me ? Not so much. The action set piece of the Battle of Hoth is incredible. The soundtrack is phenomenal. But I didn't feel it really went anywhere ? Definitely a middle film introducing more flesh on the bones of the universe.

I think Rogue One is one of the great films. It's a war story that just happens to be set in the SW universe. And the core characters draw that emotional response too.

I'm looking forward to watching Force Awakens again (soon). I like the Rey character. She's a tough smart kid who can stand up for herself. I'm very curious to see where that goes. And then there's Leia providing the heart at the centre. We'll definitely miss Carrie Fisher.

I must look into having another go at the old games too. I'm ignoring the new Battlefront game. Something orientated to multiplayer while only having a very short single player is something that definitely doesn't interest me. Nah. Tie Fighter was the game that caught me many years ago and I enjoyed the old Pod Racer game too.

For another evening though, gotta wrest me rist. Or rest me wrist.

Cya tomorrow for more advent !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.