Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thursday Thirteen - Music

Not done one of these for ages ... either a music post or the old Thursday Thirteen.

Let's do this one around : What have I listened to lately and what am I planning to listen to ? There's so much in my library now that it can be many months before I get a chance to listen to some of what's in there. Which is a shame, cos I'll never get tired of listening to albums like Super Extra Gravity, Arctic Monkeys, Broken Wave, Fur & Gold, All About Eve, Illumina or Scarlet's Walk.

Enough with the preamble ! What were the last albums I listened to ?

1 - Star Wars Episode 1. Ok, it was its turn but it does continue the John Williams tradition that's been a highlight of the Star Wars movies over the years. Here's Duel of the Fates, the signature theme of the prequels.

2 - Goldfrapp - Head First. This is Goldfrapp in boppy style. Have to admit that I think that Seventh Tree is their best but that's just the style of music I prefer to chill out to. Lots of highlights on Head First, including the title track.

3 - Gorillaz - The Fall. Again, not one I think is their best but it's growing on me.

4 - Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby. Think she got a little too taken with a couple of the tracks on here, my own favourite is Darlin. And the internet is going to be hunting that video maker down for the mortal crime (lol) of bad spelling.

5 - Hannah Peel - Broken Wave. Awesome debut album from the folky stunner. What haven't I linked from this album yet ? I dunno - here's the one that I linked on to Facebook the other day with the caption "I'm pausing everything ! Here's why " : Song For The Sea. It's not just the vocals, it's the interplay with piano and synth.

6 - Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. One of the all time classic film soundtracks. I have the theme as my mobile ring tone. Does it get stares ? Yes. Which is why this is my ring tone (without the gunshots cos that would just freak people out even more). Classic movie too.

7 - Pink Floyd - Relics. This is like a greatest hits from their early days. Pink Floyd changed character drastically between the 60s and 70s and then again in the 80s after Roger Waters went his own way. I prefer 70s Floyd but there were some great songs from the 60s too, including Remember A Day. This version is in remembrance of the author, Rick Wright.

Ok - that's what I've listened to, what's coming up ... Firstly, 3 albums I haven't listened to for way too long :

8 - The Cardigans - iTunes Originals. The iTunes originals albums are essentially greatest hits albums but they also have band interviews woven in. While I avoid rebuying songs as part of greatest hits albums, I have been picking up the iTunes Originals for the interviews. Here's Magnus' favourite song : 03.45am No Sleep which some call sad but for me, it makes me recall nights spent nattering away to the Warcraft people (that's you VR!) until everyone has fallen asleep at their keyboards.

9 - U2 - Rattle And Hum. Ok, they're so mainstream they define mainstream (including cloning their own songs) but I will occasionally listen to them. Not a huge fan but I'll sing along to tracks like All I Want Is You. (Which would kinda make up for singing along to a bad-feelings song when a partner was listening - doh). U2 are ok, they just allow their egos to make them say daft things and that turns me off them.

10 - Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk. Another one I mentioned up top :-) This one is filled with cracking songs including the title track (so wanna link I Can't See New York again - doh!).

And yes - that was me looking for an excuse to sing along to I Can't See New York again :-) (Bugs are improving)

Last 3 for this one - albums I haven't listened to enough yet :

11 - Adam & The Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier. This album's a classic, with the title track being the strongest.

12 - Aimee Mann - Lost In Space. Bit mainstream again but that voice makes up for it. Here's Pavlov's Bell.

13 - Edie Brickell - Volcano. As Edie says it, "This song's called Once In A Blue Moon."

And I'll leave it there for tonight - have a good evening everyone :-) If any Thursday Thirteeners spot this, leave a comment and I'll add you a link below. I've not been keeping a close eye on Thursday Thirteen host sites but I'll take a peek in a minute.

Linkbacks :
1 - Colleen's Thursday Thirteen.

2 comments:

  1. I just danced to Brass in Pocket by The Pretenders, REM and Ziggy Marley! http://looseleafnotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen! Brass In Pocket is excellent. I have it on a "will I like 'em ?" speculative buying of Pretenders - The Singles. May well buy more Pretenders albums in the hope that there's more tracks just as good.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.