Friday, June 22, 2012

Gonna buy a hat ...

I was being amused today ...

The people at our main office know I'm a bit strange but because I don't get out enough, the contractor people miss out on the strangeness.

Can't have that !

So the people at our main contractor office were giving me lots of weird looks when I was putting the hat back on in prep for making the dash from canteen to office with a big thing of coffee. (What's the best word for those cardboard coffee holders ? They're not cups or mugs ...)

Question - is it a strange looks because they think it's unusual or because they're actually going "why didn't I think of using a hat ?"

Normal people use umbrellas or raincoats. I don't hold with that. It's another example where people follow what everyone else does without thinking : Does this actually work ?

Lol :-)

Umbrella - wind like this, small people with umbrellas are going for flying lessons. And it better be a strong brolly too or it'll be an inside out brolly.
Raincoats ? People with raincoats always seem to end up wetter than those without them. It was certainly true for the Snowdon trip, with the people with (admittedly cheap looking) raincoats looking extremely bedraggled by the summit with one needing to borrow my gloves due to circulation trouble in her fingers. I was fine in t-shirt plus hat but then again, I do generate too much heat when I'm active.

I go for a hat to keep off the rain. I learn from wise people who are also : Gonna Buy A Hat (youtube link for Chris Rea song)

I learned early with cricket that baseball caps do nothing to keep your glasses dry when it rains. The rain just comes in from the side. Similar with the sun - if you're looking into the sun, a cap is fine. If the sun is to the side, you need a hat to shade it. Same with rain. Hats are awesome. Need a Fez. Fezzes are cool. (Yes, I am channelling 11th Doctor there)

I actually have more hats and caps in the house than I have shoes :

Rain hat - this one's green and properly waterproof :-)
Main cricket hat - white and floppy and airy
Lords cricket hat - sadly just the wrong size and tweaks my depth perception
Old purple hat - reminding me to respect the ball
Rotherham playoff cap - from the Wembley playoff final in 2010.
Pink Cricket Cap :-)
Work project cap - this must be >10 years old now :-) Still got it
Grumpy cap - may have to wear this in a game some time for the larfs

Wonder if I have more that I've forgotten about. In contrast, I only have 4 active pairs of shoes that I wear until they break or wear out :
Work shoes
Running trainers - need some new ones as they're giving up on me
Old running trainers - retired from active service but still good for slipping on to head to local shop/pizza/chinese
Cricket spikes

Anyway yeah - been a busy week this one all told, I've been putting so many hours in lately that I have a whole 2 days worth of flexi working hours credit. Just can't get rid of it. It was topped off today by a visit to the local contractor office :-).

People move on but I still have lots of friends over there who always grin and say hello when they spot me coming over. I try to keep a sense of humour in all my dealings with other people. It can get a little strained but hopefully the contractor people see me as someone who works hard to figure out the best way around a problem while still keeping a sense of humour about it.

A lot of people totally lose their sense of perspective about problems, either focusing on the wrong problem or winding people up the wrong way and losing their cooperation.

Where was I ?

Yeah - reinforcing that idea that I'm just that little bit different from everyone else :-)

Although I am going to be conventional this weekend and boringly sensible. Plan A was to head off to the parents for the weekend for a delayed Father's Day meet up. However, my sister will be marshalling a swimming event (actually equestrian but with this weather ? pack the waterwings) so we're holding off a bit. Instead I'll be catching up on stuff while there's not much sport on this weekend.

Unless someone has a better idea that is :-) Says the coffee fiend who'd love the excuse to escape the house for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.