Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Classic films that no one saw ...

This is another from the Facebook status update collection ...

"question - what do you call a film that everyone has but which no-one would call a classic ? Thinking of things like Avatar or Clash of the Titans (either) which most people will have but you'd never put them with classics like Fifth Element or Arnie's Conan."

The real question is : What films have you got that other people SIMPLY MUST OWN. Or which films are the ones where you'll wear the dvd out given chance. However ... they can't be films everyone has, they have to be the rarer or unusual ones.

From my own collection (and I haven't watched most of these enough), I'd offer :

The Dish. (all links will be IMDB) This is about the first Apollo moon landing and a collection of people in Australia who supported getting pictures and communications back from the lunar lander. Lots of quite strange but very charming characters and it's been way too long since I watched it.

Galaxy Quest. Ok, maybe not so rare but it's still a classic great film in a way things like Starship Troopers won't be. ST is a classic cos it's bad, Galaxy Quest is a classic cos it's a great take on the Star Trek world. And was this really 1999 ? I thought I watched this in the cinema with the Crazies !

Outlander. Came out at a bad time but was a well realised scifi action thriller with an excellent monsta. Oh and it also had the good enough to eat Sophia Myles. (Unless that is you're a monsta with bad taste)

Evolution. Ok, this could be seen as pretty dire with a phoned in performance by David Duchovny. But it was also great fun. And that's what entertainment should be : fun.

Mars Attacks!. But only because it had me in stitches from the opening credits to the end of the movie.

Red Sonja. I'd rate this movie higher than the Arnie Conan. And the Arnie Conan is an all time classic.

Spirited Away. This is an anime movie from Hayao Miyazaki. Utterly charming, great story. And how the hell has the dvd managed to stay in its shrink wrapping ???!!!?

I'll finish off with the Dark Crystal. Possibly the best thing to ever come out of the Jim Henson puppet factory.

There's others in the collection that I'd regard as classics - they're not here though cos ... everyone's got Fifth Element by now haven't they ? lol :-)

Anyone got any more to add ? First ask - how rare is this film ? My list of favourite films would include films like Ultraviolet, Blade, Red, Hanna, Battle: Los Angeles, Roland Emmerich movies and a bunch of others but ... they miss this list because they will be too popular.

Last thought - the Galaxy Quest motto of "Never give up, Never surrender" is a great motto to live by.

PS After getting worried over the last couple of days, I might be back in the cricket earlier than I thought ... Leg has improved nicely today :-) Still have my chest bugs though, so I couldn't have played in tonight's game even if the leg was ok.

4 comments:

  1. Have seen 7 out of the 8 listed.... [lol]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh - but which one are you missing ?

    I have my money on the missing one being The Dish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to lend you The Dish at some point ... Mind you, I bought another copy for my dad ages ago and I'm not sure whether he's watched it yet.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.