Saturday, January 27, 2018

Book 5 - Catalyst for Bad News

Before I head into what'll be a rather short book review, I better say where I've been for the past few days ... (If you want to see the short book review and skip what could be hard to read, skip to the Lego Death Star).

I'm going to mysteriously disappear again quite soon and it's due to the family situation I've been alluding to over the last few weeks. My dad is very ill and we're not expecting him to be with us for too much longer.

He's had a few small strokes lately and the bugs that have been going around have probably been too much for him. They were tough enough for us semi-healthy people to cope with ! He was frail but mostly ok over an enjoyable Xmas but those bugs have hit everyone since then.

I've come back to Bristol for a few days now so I can do a little looking after of myself but I'll be heading back to where the parents live quite soon I think. What's happening has partially hit my emotional state but we're a family of people who don't let what's troubling us appear to the outside world much. We keep it hidden from most of the world and let out the emotions in private.

He's been hanging in there over the last few days but he is very ill and I don't think he'll be coming home as he'd like to. We just don't know how much time he has left.

Seeing how he is has made it hit home. So if the following mini review of book is downbeat, my own emotional state will be contributing to that.

To the book !
The book was Rogue One : Catalyst, a companion book to the recent highly excellent Star Wars universe movie. It was penned by James Luceno who I believe is a staff writer writing Star Wars lore books.

If you're into Star Wars lore like I used to be (before the Yuuzhan Vong New Jedi Order books soured it for me), then this is an essential book to read. It tells the story of some of the Rogue One characters, putting more flesh on the bones of what's going on in the movie. It concentrates on Galen Erso, Orson Krennic and has a bit of Governor Tarkin there as well. It picks up around the time of Attack of the Clones and before Revenge of the Sith and goes up to perhaps a year or so before the start of Rogue One.

But it's so drab and dreary ...

The Rogue One movie is excellent, joining the latest two main movies as one of the best films I've seen.

This book though, unless you are interested in the lore behind the book is an .... AVOID. There are far better books to read, even the depressing Abaddon's Gate was a far superior book. It does explain what it's trying to tell you very well but ... it's probably too tied into the rest of the source material and that doesn't give it the breathing space that would turn it into a compelling story in its own right. Or is that just limitations of the author.

But this could be my current state of mind dominating my feelings.

As always, look at what people say about books like this (I'll be avoiding the Star Wars Aftermath books), borrow multiple opinions and then make your own mind up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.