Friday, January 12, 2018

Book 3 - Caliban's War

3 Books read !
The latest is Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey and it's the second in their Expanse series (the name is for a pair of authors working together). I'll come back to the book in a bit.

I should probably be heading up norf this weekend for the reasons I've been quiet about. Probably a good thing I haven't this weekend though because I can feel bugs brewing again ... They're in my throat and I've been half asleep most of the afternoon. Hopefully dinner will perk me up a bit when it escapes the oven in another 20 minutes.

Bored of being impaired, both with the situation with my outsides and apparently getting ill more lately. And with the muscle/skeleton things that have been slowing me down. My outsides are getting much better but I'm bored of going from one set of bugs to the next set of bugs.

And I want to have the energy/lack of pain to do things that I want or need to do instead of, like today, half dozing while listening to videos and my own coughing.

Grr

Book !!!

Caliban's War is another excellent book in the Expanse series (and I've grabbed the third, Abaddon's Gate already). It picks up and carries on the story from the first book, although the threat is different this time around. The entity from the first book is still around, giving everyone who observes it the willies but this time it's a bit more personal.

(I'm trying to avoid any spoilers).

If you've seen the series, season 2 goes up to about half of the book. When they pick up the series again, it should be an excellent finish and it's good to be in New Story zone instead of catching up. There are some quite considerable divergences though between book and series this time around. The central story arc is shared, it's just the way they go about it. It's quite rare for me to come across books and telly stuff that diverges like this with BOTH still representing their story to the best of what the specific media can do.

The books are great at passing on what the characters really think;
The series does great things with the action and drama.

It's like in the series you see that one of the characters is struggling seriously with what's going on in his head and also with severe malnutrition but the why and what's going on is explained so much better in the book.

cough-cough.

Better wrap up now because I hear that dinner bell beeping. Next book is How To Destroy The Universe (and 34 other really interesting uses of physics) and I'll hopefully dive through that before moving back to scifi stories.

Have a great weekend people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.