Monday, January 08, 2018

Book 2 - Brick Flicks. And music !

I had a brilliant intro in my head for this earlier but it has escaped into the bounds of amnesia.
Something to do with "Let's face the music ... and dance" but with Mini Eggs and madness involved. It's quite possibly a good thing that it's disappeared into amnesia.

Two subjects for today. I quickly moved into 2 books completed for 2018 ! Ahead of target. I quite enjoyed Brick Flicks. It's a book where the authors have recreated vignettes from many of the famous films out there. From Ben Hur to the Godfather. Alien to Tomb Raider. Death on the Nile :
To Indiana Jones :
It looks better in your hands than when trying to arrange the pages for a photo. I didn't want to damage the book by scrunching the pages back in a rather tightly bound hardback ! Cruelty to books is a very deep evil.

Good book. Great present.

Music ? I have a huge amount of music in the library. The library is expanding fast enough that it threatens the capacity of my laptop ... Aren't there those songs that when they come on, you just can't help trying to join in ? Tori Amos gets me a lot like that, despite her being blessed with a remarkable voice and me .... not.

What are some of these songs ?

The one I'll start with is by Nina Persson, formerly of The Cardigans, singing Algebra with the band A Camp. I've linked this one a few times before but .... this is a special song by a very special singer who has produced so many songs that catch my ear.

Back to Tori Amos and there are a bunch of songs I go back to with this special lady. The one that provoked me croaking along over the weekend was The Beekeeper.

I Do Adore a good song and that's one right there by Mindy Gledhill.

Sad songs too and Ghost of a Dog is a remarkable one by Edie Brickell.

Sometimes All I Need (by Air) is a classic song to break a dark mood and set me into happy times again.

Son of a Preacher Man (Dusty Springfield) is definitely a classic that always catches me.

Seal has been making a trade in singing old classics too, here's I Can't Stand The Rain. Must get his latest album.

Or a not so classic really new song that's ultra catchy like Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen. Love the humour in the video.

Most of the Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac gets me singing along and the F1 theme will always be The Chain for me.

Glad I didn't get Stuck in the limited wintry weather we had over Xmas. Caro Emerald is another remarkable singer. Guaranteed to get me chair bopping as well as singing along.

It can feel good to be on a Road To Somewhere, one of Goldfrapp's best and most singalongable.

I found a particularly good version of Martha's Harbour by All About Eve too a while back. Here it is with Apple Tree Man.

And an unusual one by Nouvelle Vague, I Melt With You.

So Thank You For The Music (the songs we can't resist singing) and I hope this selection brightened your evenings !

PS There's so many more songs that coulda shoulda been here too ! Like Walk Like An Egyptian that's just been playing on the iTunes :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.