Wednesday, January 03, 2018

A 2018 aim - a book a week

My good friend Cyberkitten mentioned something like this a while ago ...
The idea is to read a book a week. I've been enjoying reading again, since putting up the reading light that's been taking up space for ages not actually being a light. It was a bit too dark before to contemplate reading in my perch under the stairs.

It's a good perch. I can see everything from there in my swivel pooter chair. Main telly across the room, laptop and desktop. And it now has a reading light behind it as well to let me dive through the books.

The first book is going to be Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey. It's the first of The Expanse series which is also a Netflix series that I would heavily recommend if you're interested in space scifi. It's fairly realistic and well thought out too, the only cheating is the invention of a leap forward in space drive technologies that make space travel within the solar system a feasible and every day endeavour.

The book and series are different to some degree. The book is allowed to play out over a much longer timescale, while the series has more going on around the setting that it's in. The series is sped up for keeping the drama and tension going between episodes and the book, as books do, has much more scope for telling you what's going on outside of what the actors are getting up to.

I've used part of my credit card voucher for buying the next one. And a few more besides ...

I've also dropped a little cash on Elite, with shiny things appearing :
Shiny Shipka. The station ? Not so much :
That's the station where I was helping evacuate people. Still broken but they've added in scaffolding to expedite the repairs.

But I didn't want to stick around too long. So off we go back to the more populated areas of space :
Topping off the tanks at the way. (Not at that star, it's a T Tauri or protostar which hasn't properly ignited its hydrogen yet, so you can't refuel at it ... but it was pretty)

And finally, to the other ship that had a paint job acquired for it :
Very shiny. Very chrome.

Back to work tomorrow but I'm seriously considering bringing in the iPad with the Kindle software on it. I don't that would necessary work though because I'd be eating my lunch at the same time as supposedly reading and that's ... a little awkward. Maybe a holder to prop up the iPad.

I've been acquiring more for it ... As well as a book called "How to destroy the universe and 34 other interesting uses of Physics", which turned up for my birthday that I'll definitely enjoy reading, oh and Brick Flicks too. That one is next up after Leviathan Wakes :-).

What's been added to the collection today ?

Star Wars Catalyst - this is the story behind the Rogue One movie.
James S. A. Corey - Caliban's War. Book 2 of The Expanse.
Anne McCaffrey - Freedom's Landing.
Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space.

And a trio of albums from John Carpenter, Taylor Swift and Norah Jones. I still have money left on the voucher too !

Whatever shall I use it on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.