Monday, January 29, 2018

Best dad ever

Gosh this one's going to be a tough post to write but let's start with a picture.
My dad passed away yesterday. I wasn't there but mum said it was peaceful and without pain.

But this isn't about the end, it's about the 75 years up to that point. This will only have a little bit about how good a dad I had but I hope it paints some of that picture.

Before you ask, I'm ok. The family's holding things together, as is our way. You have to keep on functioning, despite what you might be feeling. And that's what we do. (Although we will go to bits when we need to and in my case, writing has always been a better way to express my feelings than anything that goes from brain to gob).

I've been very lucky with my parents. They've always supported me, my sister and my brother when he was still with us. Pretty much everything they did was to support us kids.

What did he get up to ?

He pointed the way for me to get into the cricket. He hadn't played for a long time before I did but supported me all the way. As he did with my sister and her horse riding. He gave me my first start at work, which prepared me for going into full time work. (And it was very handy for giving me a cash injection too !).

They bought our first cars and supported us kids into getting our independence. Not as a pushing us out the door kind of independence, we were always welcome and encouraged to come back to stay. There is always a place for us to crash there. In fact, this actually extended to allowing one of my ex girlfriends (this was uni) to stay there rather longer than she ought after that incident when I rescued said ex from what could have ended up being a nasty domestic violence incident.

He was a very keen gardener (and there were very many tasty veggies coming out of that garden too !). He built a house for us in Northern Ireland. Not many people can claim to have done that ! Things were a struggle for the family quite a few times but we kids were insulated from that by remarkable parents ... but not so much that we weren't able to deal with hardship when it presented itself later.

He taught me that if you read up on how to do things, you can do anything.

Outside of what was gifted us through our genes, we've never been that lucky as a family. But through the inspiration of people like my mum and dad, we've hopefully come out ok. But that's for you all reading out there to judge.

There's more, like the couple of trips to Wembley to see Rotherham play plus that day when Rotherham played Swansea and the referee incited a pitch invasion. I enjoyed getting out to see Yorkshire play cricket at various grounds too. Cos that was time with my dad, which was always precious.

Proud of him ... and my mum, sister, brother while he was with us. Everything he touched had its own little bit of awesome with it.

Best dad ever. I'll miss him.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that. My SERIOUS condolences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, man. I am so sorry...I hate this part of being an adult, I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Thumper. It would be good to be able to live fit and healthy forever though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Pete. Sometimes life just sucks :( Am thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear this, Pete. But a lovely write up about someone who was a fine father and role model. Xx
    Thinking of you, sorry I am late to the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you CQ ! Means a huge amount.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.