Monday, April 23, 2012

Travel randoms

Was travelling this weekend, doing the Easter and birthdays thing ...

I can keep up on Facebook on weekends away but I leave blog updates for later. (The family don't know I blog, I've managed to keep it a secret despite linking a few pages across)

Travel conditions on Friday could only be described as "interesting". I knew it was going to get like that when, while approaching Birmingham, the skies suddenly started getting dark. And this isn't sun down type dark, it's Apocalyptic Rain Incoming type dark.

Rain on the roads isn't actually too bad, if you're aware of what needs to be done to avoid it being dangerous. That's things like expecting there to be rivers in the road, knowing that puddles are deeper than they appear and will grab your wheel and attempt to spin you but most of all having a firm belief that everyone else on the road will be a moron.

Safe driving in rain doesn't include slowing from 80 to 60 in the outside lane of a motorway to have a good look at the accident that's happened on the other side of the road. That's why motorway accidents almost always cause traffic congestion both ways, because of idiots who will make the conditions dangerous when they don't need to be.

Anyway - conditions were actually pretty bad on Friday, I could feel my front wheels wanting to aquaplane. That's pretty rare, especially as my front tyres should only be about half worn (need to check that).

They weren't great on Sunday either, with the morons racing down the M5 on the way back. The catalogue includes - a motorhome doing 85-90, an Audi towing a trailer at 75mph (it was visibly snaking) and the bunch of people who shot past at 100+.

Meh - that's frustration that needs to be put in a box and forgotten about. (I only get frustrated because the morons who cause the danger are usually the ones who survive their inevitable accident)

I forgot the easter eggs ...

Oops. I got about 30 miles up the road before realising too. It won't take long to consume the evidence :-)

Birthday weekend - it was my nan's birthday in the week (she's 93) and my mum's birthday this week. So we had one of our occasional gatherings together.

Diet - despite eating almost everything in sight come dinner time, I always manage to lose weight up there. Must be due to eating healthily ... Perhaps there's a lesson there ?

Hugs - I got a hug from Super Waitress at the Swanholme :-)

Car - even though I'm not quite right yet from the net practice, the car let me do 3 hours 180 miles nonstop last night and the same distance with 2 stops on Friday (munchies + petrol). It's an awesome cruiser. And because it's the best car in the family now for carrying people, I do all the driving over the weekend too. (5 doors, mpg, speed, handling, comfort).

Cricket - I have control of those leg muscles back again now but my back is still suffering. Shoulder and neck are a bit sore too. But they'll manage. The leg muscle stiffness is normal for unconditioned legs that don't see enough exercise for the leg muscle mass I have. The shoulder and neck are from me attempting to bowl, I have my info now and know my bowing days are over. I'll be converting to wicket keeping instead, which will lead to its own special brand of Unhappy Muscle Hell.

And now straight back into the whirlwind today. Easy evening tonight, easy evening tomorrow. Nets Wednesday, munchies Thursday. Hopefully I won't be too much of a statue come Thursday evening. Seriously considering having Friday off.

PS Today also marks the anniversary of the release of a frankly inferior piece of crud that held back personal computers for many years. It was unreliable, had an evil keyboard and was not fit to be called a "computer". Sometimes, the worst possible option becomes the popular one, just like VHS did. Yes, I am definitely a BBC Computer Snob. And proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.