Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cabin fever

I think the cabin fever and restlessness is starting to strike ...

I have been outside the house - and for more than just putting the bin out (that'll be tonight's job). Truth is that the outside the house was to pick up more margarine today, which was my flimsy excuse for raiding the local shop for cut price Easter eggs.

I now have enough Mini Eggs to quite possibly last me until next year.

Actually, I think I may keep them in reserve for cricket in the summer. Cricket's a game of two halves :
(one I prepared earlier, I have it hanging on my wall)

Depending on what order we do stuff in, I usually have a chance to lounge around for a bit between innings. That's either after I've batted or before I go in. But it's not just lounging, it's topping up like what tennis players will do between games. I usually take a bottle or two of water with me, plus something high energy to munch on.

Bananas would be awesome for that, I hear that they are amazing for being quickly digestable to get that energy into the system. So they'd be ideal for putting in the cricket bag for a crafty gobble between innings. Just one slight problem - bananas. Can't stand 'em. Oh well. And that goes beyond the usual "healthy stuff detected" aversions.

Mini Eggs may actually fit the bill quite well, as the colourings in the shells activate my hyperactivity. Worth a shot at least.

I'm also getting my mind right in that gap. It's nigh on impossible to concentrate on anything for (theory says) more than 45 minutes at a time. That's why school lessons are timed for about that long. Kids lose concentration, mayhem ensues. Cricketers develop a skill where they can switch on or off in a heartbeat. I do it when I'm batting, with the concentration reserved for when the bowler's about to fling the ball down at me.

But hey - that's enough about the cricket.

Yep. The cabin fever's kicking in somewhat. I just like being around people. Definitely missing a few people. A great picture memory is no substitute for actually seeing someone smile. And one reason for that is that if someone smiles at you, it's usually in response to something. It's an awesome feeling knowing that you've made someone smile.

Facebook has that with the "like" button, where you can't really add something in the form of words in a comment but want to show you really appreciated a post. Blogger doesn't really have that (although that G+ button might be it) and it's another one where you'd struggle to think of an appropriate /grin comment with more characters than just "lol".

But we do have hit counters ... There's actually two on this blog and I'll natter about those sometime in the future (it'll be called "Lies, Damned Lies and Stats" because each counter reports differently). Every time I see a familiar signature come in from one of those hits, it's saying someone's come back to check up to see how I'm doing. Be that if it's a signature from work, certain ISPs or other patterns. Recognising the hits is as good as seeing a "+1" or a "/like" on Facebook.

And it makes my day to see certain signatures appear :-)

3 comments:

  1. PS One of those signature hits seems to typically appear about 5 seconds after I've hit the "post" button !

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'It's an awesome feeling knowing that you've made someone smile.'

    I love making people smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to remember there's a Simpsons song about that too :-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.