Sunday, April 29, 2012

Few little bits of randomness ...

When I started thinking about Pink Hat Project a few months ago, I never thought :

I'd be wicket keeping and therefore wearing a helmet all the time instead of a pink cap ... I'll wear the cap while staying back but the latest bump on the head convinced me that Helmets are not optional when standing up to the stumps. There's just not enough time to get out of the way when the unexpected happens.

That I'd be wicket keeping - I've done everything on a cricket field, bowl quick, bowl spin, bat, get key runouts and catches, umpire, I've captained the side a few times and on even rarer occasions I've been seen keeping wicket. Yet this season, for one of the teams wicket keeping may well be my number 1 job in the side. Fingers crossed (metaphorically because crossing fingers while catching a cricket ball means broken fingers) that I do an acceptable job at it.

And that's "acceptable" by my standards, which demand zero error.

That climate change would see the end of April seen out with torrential rain, flood warnings and the heating coming back on. I'm sitting here with 2 jumpers on ! Still, I managed to do a pizza run yesterday when it was dry and got a big smile off a pretty lady when I helped with opening the door. Yep, I'm still a sucker for that, although in my defense - I was doing nothing but idly waiting, her hands were full with pizza boxes and she looked so thin that she'd bounce off the door instead of being able to open it.

First game of the season is supposed to be Wednesday between my old side (that I'll still play for, clashes permitting) and my new side. I've got serious doubts that it'll happen because of the rain. With the amount we've had and the grounds we play on, I think if the game were tomorrow it would be called off now.

Pants.

Nope - not the weather, actual pants. When playing cricket, there's a vital piece of protective gear that's supposed to protect something other than your knees. Yep, I'll be wearing a tighter pair of pants in the first game.

Hairy - with this cut lip, I'm likely to be growing a moustache for the next week or so. Or for as long as it takes to heal. The cut is too close to where you take the razor, which means trying a slightly different look for a while.

Head stuff - I think my head is clear again now but I'm still not getting the right messages come through for hungry/full. I recognise the rumbles but I've not been actually feeling hungry. Weird. Have to keep an eye on that. It should help the diet but I need to make sure I have enough energy on board to do what I need to do. Evening cricket is a bit funny for that as games start at 6pm, so dinner is Very Late. Big lunch + 3pm snack usually does the job.

Gaming - not sure how much time I'll have for this but I need another one now that I've finished my latest Deus Ex HR run. Skyrim is there for the background but it's MASSIVE. Guild Wars 2 is coming very soon and there's a chatterybox on Steamchat who wants me to get that.

Thinking of chattering - that's supposed to be one of my jobs as wicket keeper. Shouldn't have a problem there as I'm usually keeping the noise level up while in the field. It's important as if the chat level goes down, people go to sleep, fielding goes flat and runs get given away. Plus I'll be in the action all the time now instead of being exiled to near the boundary.

And other people - still thinking a lot of other people at the moment. At the moment that's mainly the little lady who's putting an incredibly brave face on at the moment for various issues going on. There's also the lady who's recently seen a major bereavement. And finally the singer who is about the only person who'd stand a chance of persuading me to come back into Warcraft, she's had a painful overnight hospital stay for what is hopefully just a false alarm.

Hope this rain clears up soon - sun brings a smile to everyone !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.