Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Still a youth ... official !

Ok, so I broke the cabin fever by having a wander around the centre of Bristol for a while today.

It really was too much of a good day to spend it cooped up inside again. At least it was too sunshiney out there ... I must have timed it perfectly as another in a series of short but intense storms was just starting up as I was getting back (to find my parking spot had been borrowed yet again).

I don't tend to buy much these days when I have a wander and there's a few reasons for that :

I have what I want already. That sounds like I buy lots of stuff doesn't it ... But it's more down to me hoovering up all the stuff I'm interested in quite quickly and being quite restrained on the other stuff. Like I already have pretty much everything Alisha's Attic, The Cardigans and a few others like Snow Patrol have come out with. My dvd/bluray collection is wanting me to buy it more shelves.

I'm also reasonably disciplined on resisting "want" in favour of keeping it to "need". Like resisting buying a new bat because while I "want" one, I don't actually know what I "need" plus my last but one bat was still going strong. And while I "wanted" cookies, they stayed on the Millies counter.

Stuff I want isn't available. I'm missing an Edie Brickell album but can't get it because it's simply not available over here. I couldn't even buy it on mp3 from Amazon US. I have seen it in the shops but £15 is an offensive price to ask for a cd, import or no. Pink Hats and other pink gear falls into that as well. It's simply not available, even online.

Prices are too high. I'm in a sound financial position (more money is always good but the only debts I have are house and car) but I flat refuse to pay more than I think something is worth.

So £15 (or more) for a bluray movie is not going to happen. Book prices are also excessive these days. Although the value or worth of something radically changes if I was buying an item I know someone else would enjoy too. Smiles are priceless.

Clothes and outfit shopping is something I really should be doing. However, I suspect I may have to recruit someone to drag me round clothes shops in order for me to actually buy new stuff. (There'd be coffee, lunch or dinner in it !)

But that doesn't stop me having a leisurely wander around.

Good day for it today too. Bright sunshine, not too hot, air as clean and fresh as it gets in a city centre. And legs that are (mostly) happy for me to be doing that walking round.

(The mostly comes from the old hip injury that interferes slightly with my walking but it isn't one of the muscle groups that's needed for running so it shouldn't interfere with the cricket)

I did manage to buy a couple of things too. I've needed a new sleeveless jumper for cricket for a while now. Picked one of those up. I could do with getting another sleevey jumper too for really cold nights. I don't tend to wear jumpers while fielding because I'm hot stuff on a cricket field. (Enthusiasm more than skill but it does make me very warm and I overheat easily).

Also acquired new spikes. With legs like mine, you need spiked shoes to let you put all the power through to the ground. Because I play evening cricket, the dew starts to come through mid game making the ground greasy. With flat rubber shoes, your feet slip around like crazy which quickly leads to pulled muscles. Spikes give the grip needed to put in power sprints.

I left the bats where they were though. I need to have a practice session to remember what I need in a bat (after the disaster bat buy a couple of years ago). But that sleeveless top is a good sign.

"Medium" size = tent.
"Youth" size = just about right.

Youth being 32 to 34inch chest and Medium being 38 to 40. Yep. Still officially a youth according to chest size. Happy with that, especially as it seems I've gone down a size with the diet judging on how my shirt collars fit better these days :-). My whites are still a tight fit though but that's because I have chunky legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.