Monday, January 16, 2006

Small Swings vs Sloggers

Game tonight :-) 4pm until 5pm at work's gym. I play for the team around the corner, which has lots of decent looking young ladies working for it. We're "Small Swings", the other side were the "Sloggers". Bit of a contrast already in what the two teams go for I think ...

They batted first, which means I stand behind the stumps, waiting for the batsman to miss it. There were lots of accomodating people tonight who just wandered down the wicket slightly, letting me stump them. A wicket takes 5 runs off the score so that was being rather profitable :-)

Everyone has to bowl two overs and mine came in the middle and end. I have a shoulder problem, which means my bowling isn't as reliable as I'd like (used to be a strike bowler for a village team) but I managed to keep the nasty ones to a minimum tonight. 10 runs and 5 runs off my overs. The other side got 55 in the end off the 12 overs, which is not something to write home about. My batting record is I think 54 in 4 overs ... I think my bowling suffers from not having my wicket keeping to get the stumpings :-)

We batted next and cos I'm not anywhere near fit yet (down to 13stone 2 last night ! from 14stone 2 a few months ago) skipper let me have a break, having me bat in the middle. First pair got 37, my pair also got 37 and our last pair got 44, making our total 118.

Handy win :-) Not as spectacular as we could have been, the ball can make the game a bit of a lottery. It's good to know you can make a difference though :-) We had 2 outs for -10 runs in all, they had 11 outs for -55 runs in all. When you also consider that you don't score off those balls, the actual loss for us was something like -14, with the average loss for them being -77. My keeping must have gained us about 6-7 of those outs.

They really were being that suicidal.

It's real good to know that when your main skills aren't that effective (I'm work's opening batsman and should be a main bowler), that you can contribute in other ways. That's tonight's game - both sides played pretty well, with us having a better run with things. It was also played in excellent spirit, which is the most important thing about these games.

PS I'll add a Blog post sometime summarising the rules :-) They're a little bit different to the outdoor game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.