Monday, January 30, 2006

Itchy fingers

I think I got 'em big time ...

And I blame my sister - muahahahaha !!!!! :-) Think my envy centre has been pinging since she got her laptop over the weekend. Anyway - here's what I plan to build :

Athlon X2-3800 (cheapest dual core)
2Gb Ram (more Ram helps and I'm not planning to fiddle for ages after this upgrade)
Radeon X850 (ok - it's not the newest but it's the most cost effective ...)
160Gb hd (current 120 is fine but a newer one is needed cos of a faster interface)
Water cooling

And the rest of the spec is fairly insignificant when you get down to it ...

The monster above will be called Godzilla, to accompany my Ipaq which is now called Godzookie. The water cooling is something I've been interested in for a while but I've never had the excuse to check it out. The chiller system pulls in some curious considerations though. With an internal chiller, it needs a decent size box to give somewhere to put the radiator. With an external chiller, it adds an extra box and extra fittings (fittings = potential leak point) but gives easier access to the reservoir for checking the water level.

It's kinda fitting in the way that Godzilla will be water cooled, seeing as Godzilla is the monster that arises from the sea to save the day. Sea, Water cooling ... Yeah I know. Any excuse to go for an expensive toy.

Which reminds me - must try out my other new toy - the vacuum cleaner. Watching Batman Begins at the moment though.

1 comment:

  1. Addon - think the laptop needs a better name than Minibox. Will have to peek in Godzilla lore for something that could resemble a faithful, but slow partner.

    Cos the laptop works extremely well, it just can't do graphics and the cpu isn't as quick.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.