Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reversed Psychology

Sometimes my head behaves so strangely even I can't keep track of it.

Currently on a bit of a downer even though I have no reason whatsoever for it. I've had lots of reasons to be grinning today :

Mrs Sunshine was back after a birthday. Which meant cakes. Which meant lots of chances to say Happy Birthday (while stealing a cake). And you can bet that I found a few excuses to say Happy Birthday to Mrs Sunshine and get that wonderful smile in response.

And I definitely don't believe the claimed age. It's lies. Mrs Sunshine can be no older than 21.

There is always the amazing Snow Queen, who happily seems in good cheer at the moment. Our Snow Queen has been one of the best things about working on my project since almost Day 1 (she joined after 6 months) and it was a really sad day when she left for another project a little while ago. That seemed like a good idea at the time (10 years on a project is a Long Time), even though the inner voice was going "You can't leave - Don't go !" :-)

Was over the moon when I heard our Snow Queen was coming back. She does things her way, which is not always the way we ask her to do stuff. Nope. Things get done the Right Way. Engineer instructions are often well intentioned but quite bad for keeping things straight, we just patch over the gaps with duck tape. People like our Snow Queen, Queen Bee and Superspy (who's retired now) help us maverick engineers in not putting our fingers in the firey stuff.

There's also The Boss, who returned from a baby break last year and got straight back into the swing of things barely missing a beat. Despite engineers asking daft questions.

Where would we be without them ? Probably forever hunting for the information we need to get stuff done.

That's enough about people (for now at least). Work wise I managed to finish something off today which I thought would take longer. Happy about that because it was meeting minutes, which I hate because I start doubting a memory I expect to be perfect (I have a photographic memory that's nowhere near perfect and it works better with stuff I've read than stuff I've heard). Got that done despite a few "Do Immediate" distractions which needed some serious headscratching.

Last week I got to see what I've been working on, which is amazing. Walking in from car park to office, I allowed out a happy "Hello Diamond". We're more visible in the news these days and it's great seeing something go from paper and powerpoint to actual living steel. I bet I'd feel the same way if I joined the kit car world as the car steadily came to life.

So things are actually going ok, there's just something in my head that's blocking the Be Happy message.

I suspect a little of that might be having less interaction with people at home compared to work. Since leaving the WoW world, I've missed having that chance to dip in and out of chat in the evening. I think I needed that as a crutch after my last relationship broke up.

But it'll also be down to lack of sleep. I've been running light on sleep lately with being captured in the Deus Ex world and last night was especially bad. I went to bed at a reasonable time but due to legs being really sore, probably only got maybe 2 hours of sleep.

That's not enough. Will try to make up for that tonight (finished the second DXHR run last night) and hopefully that'll be without needing the Rubber Mallet.

Oh ! Happy Birthday Mrs Sunshine (again) ! :-) And I shall hit "Publish Post" and treat myself to one of the mini-muffins in the cupboard in honour of your "It's definitely 21, it has to be".

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.