Friday, June 20, 2008

Keeping out of the crossfire

We have the raised eyebrows and hushed whispers going on a bit at work at the moment ...

The organisation I work for is going through a little bit of change as the things we're expected to look after alter. So we get in a few more people on the one hand but lose a few on the other because there's not enough spots for everybody. My job isn't affected, although my role is a little different to what it used to be. There's been steadily evolution in what I do as I get to work on certain topics that need "special" attention.

Ha - that makes it sound like I'm some sort of special troubleshooter doesn't it :-) More like adaptable and able to turn my Electronics Engineering degree into more than what was in the coursebooks at uni. I'm not sure I'd like to be all senior and high up anyway like most of the glamourous troubleshooter people we hear about. I like the techie stuff and those people tend to be rather too highbrow to think anything other than "oo-kay" when they see what I'm interested in, whereas I like to dig into the detail.

Right - "crossfire" ? Well - that too many people thing is affecting a couple of the more senior people. One is very active, enthusiastic and appears to get things done in a manner best described as flamboyant. The other one doesn't really give that impression. Different people, different ways of doing things. I don't know that much about what's going on there apart from an apt description of it being "trainwreck" and all the people on the team can do is watch from the sidelines.

Anyway - that all seems to be coming to a head now and I have next week off. My body was telling me a few weeks ago that it wanted a chance to rest and recharge and next week's a convenient time for work and home stuff. Off to the races next Friday with mum, dad and sis.

Kinda glad I'm not near the firing line this time around like a few years ago. I learned a bit about defensive working that time. Otherwise known as making sure plenty of people know what you're working on and that it's your work, not the person who's having trouble due to not doing much ...

Time for more fun stuff now - I'm going to start my week off by crashing out in front of back to back cricket matches on telly ! I might even eat a sensible dinner too. Wednesday night was a few crackers and Thursday was popcorn. I have an ulcer at the moment which means I can barely open my mouth enough to fit a sandwich in, let alone anything fancier. I can last on biscuits for a few days because I have far too much in reserves (aka I'm chubby!) but it's not healthy to eat like that for long.

4 comments:

  1. sounds like the perfect time for a week off!

    and starting it off with cricket and a heathy meal seems like a good plan.

    you have an ulcer!? you mention it so casually!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouth ulcer, probably due to biting my lip at some point ... It's a self inflicted wound, so I try not to make too much of those. I suffer from too much acid too but can mostly ignore that. The too much acid is why I'm pretty much teetotal though.

    Saying that though, the caffeine in coke tends to get me acting irrationally, whereas alcohol just tends to send me to sleep.

    Lol "Why do you need Barbados when you have Old Trafford like this ?" - Paul Allott's comment on it being wonderfully sunny in Manchester (Old Trafford) while the international game in Barbados is being delayed due to rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't suppose a healthy fruit smoothie goes well with the games eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have seen the West Indian fellas who were at the Bristol ground a few years ago. They were sitting in front of us, enjoying the game too. They'd come prepared, with what would have looked to the gate people like coke bottles ... However we got the feeling there was more rum in them there bottles than coke :-)

    They were excellent value too those boys :-)

    Not quite a fruit smoothie ;-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.