Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cruise control

Been away for a few days because my sister and I took trips to my mum's & dad's place for Father's Day. It was a good chance to check out the car on a long trip on motorways :-)

The relaxed, no-effort feeling from it continued, it just takes everything in its stride. I think I may get a recurring feeling of a hole in the wallet though every time I fill it up. I've done two fill ups now, one was mostly urban driving and returned 30mpg, the other was mostly motorway and 35mpg. Not as good as my last car ;-)

I'm typing this while watching the end of the first half of the cricket. Durham have a youngster bowling the pressure overs (2 of the last 3) and he's doing really well. But he's got a lot of pizzas to eat before he truly becomes a Shane Warne replica ... There's a few Dancing Girls at this game too, except I think they're far more concerned about keeping warm up there than even getting out of the way when the ball comes their way.

Heh heh heh - it's Twenty20 cricket - get those hard hats on in the crowd :-)

Back to driving - I struggle to understand why there's people who scream down the motorways, in more ways than just going 100mph+. All that happens is that they will :
  • Run their car into an early demise
  • Get tired due to the extra attention they're hopefully giving
  • Be stressed when they get stuck behind someone with the temerity to only be doing 75.
I prefer to just cruise and stay away from the morons. I learned from my Astra (aka The Buggy) that going for an 85mph average only led to bits dropping off the car (sometimes literally) and wouldn't get you there any time sooner. 100 miles on a motorway at 70 takes 1 hour 26 minutes, going at 80 would only take 11 minutes off that, if you can maintain the extra speed. I still have the Need For Speed (no3 was a great game) but I've grown up to the point where I like to arrive relaxed and fresh.

Oh - IpodFM is still alive and well and working happily in the Focus :-)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:54 am

    We've seen those idiots here who go screaming everywhere in their cars and it irks me no end. The thing is, they do their speeding along city streets as well as on the Highways.

    We've seen a fair few go screaming by us, and then 10 minutes down the street, they've been pulled over by the cops. Always makes me laugh.

    We've been cutting down drastically on our use of the car though. Rising Gas prices have made this a necessity, and we're starting to feel the hole in the pocket more than ever.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.