Friday, October 12, 2012

Holiday time

I'm off work for a week - hurrah !

I like to think I put a lot into work. I like to hop up my thinking to keep up with and stay ahead of what's going on. I'm pulling in information from many sources and slotting it together in my head. And then I'm applying it to the betterment of the project, whether it be passing on information that other people need to know or distilling it down to inform line management.

Communication is key - and a big problem in most organisations is people not knowing who to talk to.

Yeah - I put a lot into work, one of the signs of that is that by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do is put too much active thought into stuff like game playing. Sure, I'll have my head stuck in a vdu but I'm either reading stuff (info junkie strikes again) or I'll be watching stuff.

I can survive like that for a good while but every so often, I feel the burn out approaching and need to escape for a while and chill out. I've been feeling that burnout lately, the symptoms are that the hyperactivity focus doesn't last as long, attention wanders more and small irritating mistakes creep in. (Like not checking a contents list before issuing a document!)

So next week is a chill out week, which will also double as hopefully kicking the infection out of my body.

How is that doing ?

Well, after 1 week of antibiotics and occasional cream, I'm amazed at how much the patches have cleaned up. The healed patches are now incredibly smooth. My skin in general is smoother than I can remember. It's still dry around my fingers though. So yep, antibiotics have kicked the butt of that infection.

Mostly. There are still spots that haven't healed yet and I'm having to be careful not to do the self inflicted wound thingy again. Need to heal ... There's a spot under my right eye that's been making people give me funny looks today and infection is still in my left earlobe. The bad breathing happened again midweek but I think that was either bugs picked up from our commercial people or possibly me needing to remove popcorn from my diet.

On the whole though ? Lots of progress. More progress than last year when there was some deep damage on my calves to heal up. But I'm hoping that it just doesn't come right back again when the anti-biotics run out. I have another 6 days of that regime. And my breathing has recovered to the point where I can sing along to iTunes, able to keep my breathing times in the right places.

So what's the intentions for next week ?

Well, I'm planning to do lots of watching of telly and lots of listening to music. My digital video recorder is currently showing 25 hours of space (out of 80) remaining and over the next week, I have 41 (equivalent) hours of recording scheduled ... Need to clear all those Stargate SG-1 and Castle episodes to make room. Oh and by equivalent, I mean 4 hours gets taken up for each hour of HD recording.

With music, I still have 13 hours of music in the library that I haven't listened to yet. 3 albums (Morcheeba, White Stripes and Air) joined that today, with the next Bat For Lashes album arriving on Monday.

Gaming wise, I ended up watching Totalbiscuit's video on the new XCom game. Which was dangerous. Cos I then went out and bought the game before the video ended. Oops. Guess who will be saving the planet from alien invasion over the next week ...

Wonder how long before the Cabin Fever strikes ?

PS I'll miss the people as usual, although there aren't as many really interesting characters upstairs as before we moved. The best ones are on Facebook :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.