Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - sporting moments


Thirteen Things about Memorable Sporting Moments

Taking the idea for this one from The Bluest Butterfly, it was going to go up last week but I felt I needed to put up the Gary Gygax memorial 13.

1.... England regaining the Ashes in 2005.
2.... Every Monty Panesar wicket - they are followed by a wonderful outburst of sheer joy.
3.... England winning the Rugby World Cup in the dying second with That Wilkinson Drop Goal.
4.... Murray Walker and Nigel Mansell's bruise on the head.
5.... Mansell's rear tyre exploding costing him the world title in the last race (they don't all have to be good things ! still remember this one)
6.... Getting wicket number 6 for me and winning a game for the team against all expectations, getting my best bowling in the process.
7.... Shelley Rudman winning a medal in the 2006 Winter Olympics Skeleton event (hurtling down a BobSled track headfirst on little more than a skateboard).
8.... Weirdest moment - Yorkshire supporter standing at the back of the stand shouting "I'm ashamed of you Yorkshire, ashamed" several times at the end of a day's play at Scarborough. My dad and I had just watched Notts bat the whole day out to secure a draw against Yorkshire.
9.... Race 7 of the Americas Cup Final - thinking it's all over, only to find that the NZ boat had dramatically recovered and was giving Allinghi a run for their money.
10... Kelly Holmes winning her 800m golds. Iron Lady !
11... Helping my temporary workmates win a knockout competition on one of my placements. I contributed in all games as a key bowler and occasionally with the bat (they didn't really need me there). Felt a full part of the team, was chuffed to be able to help out.
12... Staying up late to watch the underdog Marlins beat the Yankees in 1997
13... Every time a young cricketer gets a five-for or a hundred to prove to everyone that they can deliver the goods at the highest level. Cricket allows them to take that break to breathe in the applause. Fingers crossed for Tim Ambrose tonight :-)

Others include the 1966 World Cup win but I wasn't alive for that ... Just going for stuff I've seen on telly or live :-)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.