Tuesday, March 11, 2008

300 Reasons for research

I'm currently watching the film 300 off dvd, with the aim being research of course.

(note - taken the images out - lots of spurious hits coming in and I'm wary about copyright)

I've been watching my dvds with more care than usual lately, as I'm trying to figure out whether or not Blu-Ray HD would be a worthwhile upgrade. At the moment, I'm not at all convinced. After all, I can see 300 off the telly in perfect quality, the detail is perfectly visible and I can still count the ribs on the dancing slave girl oracle.

300 is a cracking film. It has bone crunching action, it has an excellent pace and the soundtrack complements what's on screen perfectly. Whether that be the low moan of the wind, the instrumental classical style music or the grinding rock guitar of the action sequences. The battle sequences are truly epic and give the impression of the Spartans being a disciplined group of warriors, born to fight and instilled with the knowledge that they are the elite of the elite.

I don't think I'll tire of watching this particular film, it's just that good. I know it's not totally historically accurate but it makes far more fun watching than any historical documentary about the battle of Thermopylae, where the 300 Spartans made their stand against the Persian horde.

(image taken out again)

Closing this entry with the line that made the name of this film : "Madness. THIS IS SPARTA !" and "Give them nothing but take from them ... EVERYTHING"

3 comments:

  1. "give them nothing but take from them - everything"

    great line and yet I have no desire to see the film. saw gerard butler talking about it, saw dozens of clips, just fell empty for me.

    Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is kinda empty ;-)

    There's no deep thought here, no will-they-won't-they romantic interest, no big twist at the end ...

    But - it's an excellent popcorn film with lots of action in it and some really twisted nasty humour in parts too.

    My mum would hate this film and my dad would hide in the next room :-)

    PS There's a bunch of documentaries about the stand at Thermopylae, it's worth watching at least one to learn about what happened there - it's a pivotal moment in world history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I'm inspired to rent it and in awe of your dedication to research ;)

    d

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.