Sunday, March 16, 2008

Agony Ankle

Writing this short entry in honour of James Anderson, who's definitely been in the wars in this game. England's young bowler turned his ankle after the end of play two days ago and left the ground on crutches.

However, a little thing like a badly twisted ankle hasn't stopped him putting it on the line for his country and team. He's been, to borrow a phrase from the commentators, rattling with painkillers for today and yesterday. Lots of pain there from that ankle, although to his credit you wouldn't know it from watching him bowl. He also drew the short straw yesterday, having to do the real hard work of bowling into the wind. Not just a little breeze this wind, the commentators were calling it a gale.

Since kicking off this entry, Jimmy's got the breakthrough in a prickly little 9th wicket partnership and Monty's got the last wicket to win the game. I think Ryan Sidebottom will probably get Man Of The Match but I'd like it to go to Jimmy Anderson for going beyond the call of duty, firstly with playing through pain with the ankle but also for demolishing New Zealand's top order on the second day of this game.

That ankle injury is making me remember one of my many injuries ... I was running on to the field at the start of a game and just happened to put my foot in a rabbit hole. Oops. Ouch too. Adrenaline and youthful foolishness let me ignore the sprain through the game and I think (can't remember if I was batter or bowler for that game) I also got my 10 overs allocation in. But after a night's sleep to let it stiffen up, I could barely walk for a week and nearly missed the next game.

Hopefully Jimmy Anderson will make next week's NZ vs England game, he's a very good bowler and England are a better side with him in it. Bit daft maybe but he's got a certain amount of natural luck (aka does the right things without realising how) which gives him a knack of making things happen.

PS Man of the Match went to Tim Ambrose, the fella I was hoping would get a 100 a few days ago. He managed it, plus did ok as keeper (missed 1 catch, 1 stumping and keepers like keepers to be perfect)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.