Saturday, March 08, 2008

Random thoughts

I've discovered a new idiotgame site and am currently coming down from getting addicted to several of the games on there ... I call those idiotgames because they are so simple, any idiot can play them. It takes some doing though to figure out the strategies. The one I've linked above is especially maddening. It looks oh so simple but it'll be weeks of pounding before I even approach the high score table.

Had a bit of a frustrating day, I took today off work because the Gas people were coming to change my meter. Figured that with an appointment time of between 12.00 and 17.00, it wasn't worth going in for the 2 hours or so I'd have been there before needing to come home to shepherd Gas Person. So I have a lie in, which I think I needed (hours are a little strange cos of cricket on telly!) and got a few more things watched off the Skybox before settling in to wait from 12.00 noon. On goes iTunes and out comes the book, both things I can interrupt at a moment's notice, unlike a game or a taped TV programme. Said Gas Person actually turns up at 16.15, with me getting lots of exercise jumping up to see if that engine sound outside was them. Was starting to rehearse a rant to the people who said I needed to be in to shepherd Gas Person before he turned up.

Managed to get through 120 pages of David Weber's At All Costs, the latest in his Honor Harrington space opera series.

I'm now looking to calm my thinking down again, as it tends to go into hyperspeed and intense focus when doing those idiotgames. What didn't help was what's best described as a Heated Discussion breaking out on the Mercs forums, centred around one of our older players who is leaving due to dissatisfaction with the other players in the guild. He's got a point, we've moved a long way away from what we were in the early days which was a guild of only the best players. We've grown a little too much to still deserve that tag. We have players who are only along for the ride and aren't too comfortable on the horse at that.

Maybe it's time to disappear from World of Warcraft again ? To be really honest, I haven't been in the game enough to justify £8 a month on the subscription fee. I've only been coming on to raid and although I settle for no less than a committed raiding performance from myself, I'm not particularly interested. I come on to help out the team. Good selfless reason but is playing a game for someone else's enjoyment reason enough for staying in a game you're not enjoying ?

There's also other politics going on, including some strange decisions taken with reference to the leadership of the Warcraft guild. So I'm irritated with various people over that as well, because I've been overlooked with no direct explanation as to why.

Ho hum - if a game starts getting irritating instead of fun, then maybe it's time to find another game. Just wish there wasn't so much expectation from a whole crowd of people looking at me to decide what they want to do.

2 comments:

  1. Although I did not understand most of it, I wish you a good day. I am here via Michele and sorry for bein delayed in arriving here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [chuckle] That's a symptom of me writing posts when my mind is buzzing from playing those games !

    Must avoid them so I can regain a little clarity ;-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.