Saturday, March 08, 2008

Sneaky uses of a laptop

My wrist is bugging me again, so I'm sneakily using my laptop for heat treatment. I run the BOINC distributed compuing application on my 2 PCs, my laptop is currently analysing radio signals in hope of finding an alien life derived signal in one. It alternates between that and manipulating proteins for medical research for the Rosetta@Home project. My desktop does both SETI and Rosetta but also adds in climate prediction.

Sneaky use of laptop ? All that work makes the processor hot and because ventilation is never that great on a laptop, the heat spreads through the case. So for the rest of the second half of the England rugby game, I'll have my right hand stuffed under the laptop getting some advantage out of all that heat being generated :-)

It's a bit of a painful game at the moment. Conditions are poor at Murrayfield due to heavy rain, meaning it's turned into a kicking duel. England are playing typically poorly though and won't deserve to win if they do manage to catch up the 12-3 deficit they have at the moment.

Addon - links added for BOINC. I run SETI, Rosetta and Climate Prediction. It's a good idea to run several projects as it means your machine always has work. Sometimes the projects are down for maintenance, which can mean your machine can run out of work.

9 comments:

  1. So, it's watch while you heal then? Heat can be so soothing, especially in this vile damp adn cold weather. Yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrist feels better now :-)

    Yep - heat's good, I think it helps to open up the blood vessels, getting more oxygen around. It's what ultrasound treatment is supposed to encourage, healing through heating of the area that's not happy.

    Standing under the shower with the hot water directed to my injured shoulder can feel oh so good :-)

    "Also, do not use ice packs on the left shoulder if you have a heart condition. Do not use ice packs around the front or side of the neck."
    Curious - just found that on a medical page. I can understand the heart one but am trying to figure the neck one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, SP! We're being nailed by another blast of Canadian winter, so any source of heat is welcome indeed.

    My new laptop is decidedly cooler than my old one - darn you, Intel, for introducing new lower-power chipsets! - but I think it has a High Performance mode that kicks up the clock speed and forces the little gerbils inside my machine to run even faster.

    Belated hi from Michele's: Blogger's been an unhappy camper today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol - I'll have to update my post a little to add a couple of links in for SETI, BOINC and Rosetta@Home :-)

    They make the cpu go 100% all the time, which means heat which means :

    Laptop = Surrogate Hot Water Bottle !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love pizza and Mini Eggs!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you shouldn't use ice packs on the neck because of the jugular vein being there?

    Michele sent me back, Sleepypete; I couldn't get here earlier, due to blogger's being down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could well be - ice packs could close down the jugular or carotid, meaning less blood getting to the head ... Never a good thing ;-)

    Never really liked the idea of using ice packs - the ice deadens pain but that deadening means you're more likely to aggravate what you've just injured.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:40 pm

    I'm not here via Michele. I trust that's acceptable.

    I suppose a hot water compress would be too difficult to use then? I know I'm an American and we hear things about the NHS, but have your English people really run out of hot water?

    Bugger.

    I will pray for you.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. [chuckle] I try to avoid the NHS as if they have the plague ;-) (too many stories about MRSA ... but also knowing of people who come out of hospital worse than when they went in)

    Lol - I just like sneaky ways of doing things or methods that are completely different from how everyone else does things. I can be orthodox when I need to be but different is more fun :-)

    Thanks for the visit :-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.