Saturday, March 14, 2020

Saturday Thoughts

Hello everyone,

It's still getting scary out there isn't it ... Here's a Happy Place :
Lego Shop - Cardiff. I was over there yesterday afternoon for various reasons.

Didn't actually pick up any Lego though ...

Let's see - what's been occurring since Wednesday ?

The big reason for heading over to Cardiff yesterday was to pick up more drugs. Yeah, I could have picked them up more locally but ... local Mall's got kinda boring now hasn't it ? Cardiff has more interesting places and better shops.

It's been curious watching the news over the last few days. I have to say our government needs their collective heads examined after the reckless Thursday announcement that they were going to be happy that more people acquire this virus that's going around. It's accelerating too. And it's been curious that so many event organisers have announced postponements pretty much immediately after the government announcement. It's almost like they were waiting for official word before deciding what to do. (Liabilities will have had something to do with that).

That's about as far as I want to go in to politics though. It was distressing to see one person's story appear on a discord yesterday where his girlfriend was in the hospital and slipped in to a coma. Hopefully they pull out of it.

For me - I'm still fine ... although I'm nervous about it. We have an away meeting coming up on Wednesday next week and I don't think that's a particularly good idea as something to travel to. Maybe that's me being overcautious. Our place is a bit of a melting pot of plague as well because even though we have valid work from home facilities, people probably don't switch to them quickly enough. We haven't had an official announcement yet. Or rather we have ... but it's been another head in the sand no decision keep calm and stay as you were announcement.

I think we may have to call off the Mother's Day visit weekend too, although I'll talk to SleepyMom before making that decision. I know a few other people have called off attendance at events because they have to look after older relatives. They're essentially self isolating already so that they can stay in their smaller group of contacts.
Internet hugs are still good - right ?

So - Cardiff yesterday. The catalyst for it was my body starting to tear itself apart again. I think my external woes over the last almost decade ran down my levels of various minerals to critical levels and one thing that's manifested as is brutal cramp. As in heavy cramp in my leg that led to hobbling until yesterday. Leg's ok again now. I must have slept awkwardly on Wednesday night too because my shoulder decided to freeze up. That's mostly ok again as well now but it's kept me out of the internet spaceship pilot seat for a while.

It's been minimal gaming today as well - there's a Caledorn Pathfinder video going on another stream and I'm looking forward to lurking in Tashnarr's stream later when she starts up. The Pathfinder game feels like one I might enjoy playing, eventually. I find it confusing to play games while watching a playlist of videos of them.

Hopefully internet spaceships tomorrow. I kinda want to get back to the bubble pretty soon so I can get into different ships again. The next one is likely to be a Krait Mk II for mining ... although I might actually do mining in a smaller ship. They changed one of the mechanics of the game such that if you do industrial scale mining of the most lucrative and flood markets, the markets give you less money.

I'm missing the sport. This weekend, that would have been Formula 1 and I think it was going to be IMSA and WEC's Sebring races. But that's understandable, especially as the McLaren mechanic's catching of the virus may well have coincided with the Barcelona test and there may well be more people out there unknowingly carrying it.

So - drugs ... when my Magnesium tablets ran out, I got the wrong ones. Instead of 3 a day for 80% RRA, they were 1 a day for 67%. I think the 1 a day, taken in the morning, meant I didn't have much left while attempting to sleep ... hence cramps over night. Today was ok on the new regime.

(Don't use Dr Google as gospel, if I'd still been getting cramps, I would have gone back to a proper doctor. I was just lucky right this time).

Yesterday also saw me heading around the sweet shop - I now have emergency sherbets and kola kube supplies. I also found myself in the book cave and picked up 2 by Alastair Reynolds - Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap. Hopefully I read those in the right order. I also picked up HG Wells War of the Worlds because although I've seen a few adaptations, I've never read the originals.

I almost did cinema too but that was a victim of bad timing - Vin Diesel's Bloodshot seems to be the only semi interesting film (except 1917 - that's very good but I saw it already) on at the moment and I'd have missed the start ... and then it would have been super awkward to escape Cardiff after.

I think that's it for now and this post ...

Be well, be safe, be wary of the risks out there at the moment.

Time for book I think ! Currently in Old Man's War by John Scalzi, although that's been put aside while I've been doing other things !

Addon ... OH ! One last thing. People have been posting the "Support your local merchants" and there's another for "Support self employed con people". Special mention here for one Scorch Lady - link's over to the right.
Before the event got moved, she posted that she wasn't going to Birmingham Comic Con. Artists and traders like Scorch must get a lot of their income from events like the comic cons and that bookmark there is a lovely bit of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.