Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Busy doing not much

Seems like the times when we're most hectic are the times when we don't think we're actually achieving very much ... Weird.

Sometimes you can account for the lack of achievement, like Sunday when I spent most of the day buried in Master of Orion 2 :-) I'm completely unrepentent about that, it's an addiction that I feed every once in a while when I feel the need to trounce the AI. It's a decent game is Moo2 (short name), it's one of those rare sequels that is better than it's original in some way but different enough to make a sequel worth it. Often a game sequel is just the original game tweaked a little - replaced graphics, a new ability or two or beefed up AI. But they'll often follow the same formula as the original.

Moo2 is a kind of hybrid between a space game and a Civilisation derivative. Whereas Civ games usually give your units freedom of movement depending on whether they are land, sea or air, Moo2 allows them only to go between solar systems. Where Civ allows you to build cities anywhere, the Moo2 cities are built on planets. It works well, plus you get the ability to direct what they're building. That's the big problem with the last game in the series, Moo3 decouples the player from what the colonies are doing.

Anyway - I spent most of Sunday beating up the AI and finished my spell in that particular addiction at about 3.30am on Monday morning. It's a 1994 game that's still on my machine and it's simple enough to play that I'm thoroughly addicted to it. I'll fall under its spell every once in a while but I promise myself that after I've beaten it on Impossible (hardest level) on my easy and hard race, then I'll ignore it for a while. We'll see how long that lasts :-)

Yesterday was spent frantically getting the finance reporting done, or rather doing the finance reporting and then trying to get people to realise what the numbers mean. If they don't know where the numbers come from, they don't trust the results, same for if they don't understand what graphs may be telling them.

Monday night was with the D&D group getting into trouble with monsters and local barons. I managed to scare a ghost away which was good ... But bad at the same time because it took a decent magical sword away from us. Ah well :-) It's Ghost Rider now, before lots of clashing TV (recording) tonight.

Tomorrow could be interesting ... There's a badminton club at work that I'm fully intending to make a debut at in the evening. I've not played for a few years now and I'm drastically out of condition. Badminton's also how I bust my shoulder, so I limit the number of overhead shots I go for. Should be fun :-) I get the feeling I'll quickly turn into showing off, depending on who's there and how long my energy lasts :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.