Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Nasty surprises and cold feet

Bit of a nasty surprise the other day - I found out why I'd been developing cold tootsies ... Broken boiler again. Last time, it needed the thermocouple (widget wot tells it the temperature inside) replacing because it had totally burned away. This time, I can get it lit and it'll work for a little while and then the pilot light will go out again. I just heard it fire up, which is a good sign, it means the boiler has been alive for the 90 minutes that I've been home for. I think it may be last week's replaced gas meter that's done it, as the boiler's been fine through the winter.

Hoping it stays lit, as we have snow forecast in the UK this coming weekend, although that's the East side of the country and not the side I live on. Still, it'll be cheaper on gas if I have to run without a boiler for a bit although I prefer my showers to be hot instead of icicle temperature.

I now have Hornblower on, I missed this the first time around. It has a good reputation but it's only now that I've had the chance to watch it from the start. David Weber's Honor Harrington books are supposedly follow on from the Hornblower tradition, so let's see if the Horatio Hornblower tradition is better than the Honor Harrington one :-)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:45 pm

    Ugh, broken boilers suck. I had that issue with my ex back when I lived in the UK. Our landlord was a cheapskate and refused to get someone qualified to fix it. Instead he got his buddy to do it.

    Such a shame it cost him double the price to get it replaced after his buddy screwed it up completely. NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossing my fingers - it's been lit for a day now :-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.