Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mediocre film and better rugby

Watched a new film today that had me thinking - I'm going to have to watch 300 again to remind me of what an sword n sandals action film should be like ! Fortunately, England were on much better form today and I've just finished watching them rack up a pretty decent score against Ireland.

10,000 BC isn't a bad film, it just isn't that great. There's a lot of technical achievement in there, like the PuddyCat that appears around the middle. Big, Furry, Long Teeth, it's full of "I'm hungry and you're dinner" type menace. And then there's the mammoths that fill the screen. There's sequences near the end where you start to think "how did they bring that scene to life ?" The scenes are alive but you should really be too gripped in the story to be thinking things like that. A film worth a look but only if there's nothing else worth watching on. It's come at a bad time because we also have Vantage Point to watch.

Back to the rugby, I've caught myself adding sound effects to the players ... When the big prop forward picks up the ball and starts running with it, my mind has been adding the thundering sounds of "BOOM BOOM BOOM" to his footsteps. However, I haven't quite got to the stage where my mind is adding a whimpering "ouch" to the ball when it's kicked 80 metres.

Wales v France next and I find myself in the very strange position of wanting the Welsh to win. If they do, they'll achieve a well earned Grand Slam (beating all 5 of the other nations) plus it means the French lose. Late night too tonight, as I'm hoping that England will make short work of New Zealand in the cricket.

PS It seems that there's a few areas of the world that are proving very popular for action films. I'm sure I've seen similar bits of craggy topography in various films like Narnia, 10,000 BC, LOTR and a few more too.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you root for the home team. Sporting events are always so much more fun when the fans are really into it - and you clearly are. Love the sound effects especially.

    Popped by from Michele's today. Hope you're having a great weekend so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol :-) Most of the time Wales count as The Enemy, even though Wales is only about 30 miles from where I live.

    However, they are a much closer neighbour than the team they're playing at the moment ...

    3-0, Wales in control after 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:13 am

    "However, I haven't quite got to the stage where my mind is adding a whimpering "ouch" to the ball when it's kicked 80 metres."

    LOL! That totally made my night before I go to bed :D

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.