Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The old ones ...

... are always the best.

(I like my cliches)

Just from the opening half hour or so of Star Wars A New Hope, I'm reminded of why it must have been such a sensation in its day. And then I'm reminded of the Star Wars games that were around in the early days of proper PC gaming. Games like XWing, Tie Fighter and lastly, XWing v Tie Fighter.

I never went all the way through XWing, it was quality ... but it had missions that were insanely difficult. And I got my first PC after its successor, Tie Fighter, came out. So I ended up fighting for the Imperials. There's been certain games that have stood out in the era they were produced and Tie Fighter definitely is one of the best of its era. Of course, you'd struggle to run it on a modern PC now but that's what Slowpoke is for. Slowpoke is my old PC, specially rebuilt to run games like Tie Fighter and Master of Magic. I'm not likely to play Tie Fighter again as the more modern games have gone past it. But it still has its charm ... Like the original XCom, I'm known to have the odd raid into that one still ...

Hmm. Subject for future Blog entry - what's my favourite games ! Hmm. That would be :
1 - What's my favourite games
2 - What games have I spent most time on
Different list for both - we shall see what I come up with sometime soon.

In the meantime, it's nearly time for Mos Eisley. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

PS Music can have a definite effect. I think it's one of the things that make the first Star Wars what it is. It fits what's happening on screen perfectly. It also works well with those Star Wars games as well, as the games adapt the music to play different bits of the score according to what you're up to. And it does a very good job of it too ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.