Saturday, May 12, 2012

Time's valuable

Oh dear. Door to door people on patrol again.

This time, it's a case of the arrogant kid who's just got out of school going into a job where he's been forced to knock on people's doors and demand "just a moment of your time". This one really rubbed me up the wrong way.

Attitude - arrogant and entitled yoof bully
Appearance - reminded me of the Popular Set kids at school

And that's just the first impression. I cut him off early with a "not interested - sorry", as I was busy doing other stuff (the grand prix coverage was running in the background). At that, I'd expect them to have the humility to walk away. I don't expect them to demand why I'd told them to go away before finding out who they were. And I definitely don't expect them to hang around on the street looking into people's houses.

The attitude was very much : Give me the world, I'm entitled to it. And the response is - earn it and while you're at it, work on the humility.

But it's really about time. Door to door people inflict themselves on you. It could be something important happening like a car alarm going off or a parcel. But if it's some random person turning up and demanding money, I will not allow them to waste any more of my time than is necessary. I don't see that as me being rude, I just see it as sending them on their way without wasting either my time or their's.

If I'm going to spend money on something, I'll research it first. (And then usually buy the wrong thing like with my Onkyo amp.). Unless it's something I was intending to do anyway (like Npower Girl), there is zero chance I will give anything to a door to door person.

Time is an incredibly valuable thing.

If I send someone a message, I'm borrowing their time. If I ask someone to look at something, I'm borrowing even more of their time. So I only tend to do it when I have something I think they'll appreciate or if it's something I think they need to know. If the messages get ignored or a "busy now but I'll check later" gets forgotten, then that's Sad Face.

When I see the hits come in for this message later, that will tell me that you've donated some of your valuable time to read this message. And I think that's awesome. When I see repeat hits coming in from those of you who know I do Walls of Text ... but keep coming back ... I find that incredible.

What will I be doing with the rest of my time today ?

Errrmmm ... Wasting much of it trying to take over the galaxy in Moo2 while chilling out to music. Not feeling the urge to do a city centre wander as I'd been buying stuff at the Mall on Tuesday. But if I had someone call me up or message me and tell me they'd like to spend some time with me ? I'd be out there like a shot.

PS I've been ranting a lot lately - which suggests there's some anger/frustration bubbling away in my mind ... Need to address that. Cross fingers for some good cricket :-)

2 comments:

  1. Those people are why I have a "No Soliciting" sign on my front door. A few people ignore it, but fr the most part they head for my door, see it, and then turn around and walk away. The ones who ignore it--if they're not kids--I sometimes ask if they can read or not, and if they can, do they need a dictionary...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I suspect reading is something that eludes them ... Could explain why they don't appear to have any training on "How not to upset people you are trying to sell things to"

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.