Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Curses and Caps

I think my cap is cursed.

We've had extraordinary climate conditions over here in GB since the start of the year. Winter saw endless sunshine. And that's sunshine to the point where we were getting threatened with hosepipe bans and with having the mains water shut off and replaced by standpipes in the street.

Since the cricket season started, we've seen rain. Rain. More rain. And puddles. Worcestershire can't play at their home ground because it's waterlogged. (Worcestershire County Cricket Club link with picture). We've seen 4 games out of 4 called off due to the weather. (Ok, one was because a team doesn't play in that league - but it chucked it down anyway)

An aside here - I've been suffering from a headache for all this afternoon and evening. Brain feels like it's trying to crawl out through my eye sockets.

Weather - here's a more spectacular view of New Road (Worcestershire's ground) ... although 3 days later the match was back on at New Road, although sadly only a third of a day's play was possible.

I have a feeling the weather may be a factor with that headache. I can be sensitive to subtle changes in atmospheric pressure and humidity that can act like a weather sense. On one of my work placements, I had terrible headaches because I was working much of the time in a positive pressure environment (don't ask where - lol). I.e. the air inside was a few millibars above normal, to blow out all the nasties from welding equipment, solvents and glues.

Trouble with where I work now is that the air in the building is so dry, it really messes up that weather sense. That could be contributing to the headache as well.

Where does the cap fit in all this ?

It's the first season that I'd have been back in a cap regularly. I normally field in a sun hat and I now bat in a helmet. However ... if I'm also to be doing fielding in a helmet (the wicket keeping when standing up), then the hat won't do because I need to hide the headgear when I have the helmet on. And a cap is easier to hide down the back of your trousers (yes, really !) than a sun hat.

But, with continuous heavy rain since the start of the season ? Is the cap cursed ?

Does it need to be ritually sacrificed (Fire Good) in order to summon the Sun Gods back ?

We shall see.

I kinda like my Pink Cap. It'll be a silly thing to wear on a cricket field and that's half the point. Bit like a statement that says : "I'm not scared of the comments I'll get when I wear this". Well, it's going to be worn in honour of a fallen colleague who used to smile at me when she caught me looking up and grinning as she walked through the office. And that's the image that will be in my head when I get a daft comment about the Pink Cap.

Cap stays - superstition be damned ! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.