Thursday, December 28, 2017

In the books - Revenger

I really enjoyed reading this one.

It's called Revenger, the latest novel by Alastair Reynolds and the verdict ? After not getting on too well with his Chasm City, I'll be looking up more of his novels now.

It's a tale of a perhaps Firefly inspired solar system with space ships being a cross between what we'd expect and sailing ships of days long gone. With treasure hunting and piracy mixed in there as well.

Good book. I'd thoroughly recommend it. The central character is Fura Ness and as a young lady new to the ways of space and baubles and treasure hunting and piracy, she's a perfect narration character to draw you into a wonderful universe set up throughout the book.

You have technology ... but it's technology that's been handed down. Ancient works of art, death and tools for getting the people ahead in their travel through the world. Most of the technology is found on baubles, shielded worlds with ancient troves of goodies that are only open for short bursts of time, after which they close behind impenetrable barriers again.

It's 425 pages long and I'd quite happily still be reading it.

I think it'll be the first Expanse novel though. I should go book hunting at some point. I've intentionally avoided heading out over the past couple of days mostly to avoid the snow that came down. If you have no need to head out in wintry conditions, you shouldn't. The most important rule I've gone by is : Don't become the casualty. And heading out unnecessarily in conditions of snow and ice gives you a high chance of getting damage either to yourself or to what you're travelling in.

Oh and if you're on other people's transport (bus, train, air) there's the high chance of them deciding that they aren't going to be travelling ... in which case you're really stuck.

Nah. I may venture out tomorrow (I'm almost out of milk and have the pizza urge again ...) but I've been quite enjoying watching the cricket during the night and day too. Maybe pizza in the evening followed by Day 5 of the cricket up until lunch if I'm feeling ok and all day if I have the acid. The pattern at the moment is to start watching at 11.30, watch the pre-lunch session up until 1.30 and then head to bed and watch the rest in the morning.

It's been a good pattern.

But I've also been suffering from the insomnia again which makes me think of doing a reset in the form of an all nighter, which works out well in conjunction with pizza ...

We shall see !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.