Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Recession Observation (aka how to stay alert when driving!)

After earning a little streetcred this morning with the results of a little miracle working last night, I was heading up and down the motorway again today.

As well as iPodFM, I'm usually hunting for something to keep my brain active and fully awake while driving. When you're going on Britain's motorways, it pays to maintain a very sharp level of attention to keep an eye on the Nutters in the other cars. Unbelieveable people like the one in the service station who waits, waits ... waits even more - and then pulls out in front of me at a time when I have to then slam the brakes on.

Yep - there was the predictable Bluetooth telephone headset in her ear.

So what was the Entertainment Of Choice for today's drive ? I was curious ... And started looking at the registration plates whizzing past. The question on my mind was - "ok, it's 3 months into the new registration plate, how many new cars out there ?"

The answer, sadly, is not many ... I saw a few "08" and "58" cars out there but only one "09" car. Over in Britain we now mark our cars with numbers for when they were made, so my Focus is a "52" car, which means it was registered in the second half of 2002. My last car was an "S" registration, which takes a little more working out ... (it was registered in 1999).

So that's my observation of the day - connecting a lack of new cars out there with signs of Recession. Of course it could be because I was travelling at 10.30 to 1.30 and 16.00 to 19.00, so I probably missed all the RepMobiles (Sales Reps get a bad reputation on our roads for a Devil-May-Care attitude) and the hire cars.

Trips out aren't too much of a hardship, as they allow me to indulge my biggest addiction (for now), which is listening to music :-) However, IpodFM isn't as clear as it could be due to increasing pollution of the airwaves by commercial stations. At least the music doesn't seem to be the cause of the lag I'm suffering on Warcraft, as I still had the lag even though no music was playing earlier. Think I have a little more to do with my network setup to get better gaming performance.

Right ! Time to get updated with what's been going on in the world while indulging that music addiction. Current track is "Think About You Now" by Gloria Estefan. Thinking about a few people at the moment. There's the Rose with her illness, Snow Queen with her bugs, the gaming people and whether they got bitten by the food poisoning that got me on Monday, Miss AB who I've sadly not spotted since she left our project and Ms Cantina who will probably be wondering why I wasn't hunting sandwiches today :-)

5 comments:

  1. Don't see many new cars round here either and dealerships are either merging or closing

    I'm still driving a 95! Oy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still in the Jetta ?

    Think my best loved car is still the Astra I had - that was an '82 car. But I know it would not have survived for long when I started working ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to jump on my trampoline while singing "I'm on a Mexican Radio." A Netchick signpost led me here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my ideal world, cars will all have audio-in jacks so we'll never have to use those God-awful FM transmitters again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a bad system when it works, iPodFM - but you'd have thought that the car radio makers would have added in 3.5mm headphone jacks years ago. Even before the iPod arrived, people had CD walkmans that they wanted to plug in to their radios ...

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.