Monday, April 20, 2009

Back to work ...

... which means a distraction is needed. Cos while I'll natter about the people, I'm not too fond on talking about work.

I have a new Science Project :-)

And those words usually have people who know me diving for cover or grabbing a gas mask. Previous Sleepy Science Projects have involved things being left in fridges long enough that they grow tentacles and fur. This one is a little different and it'll be highly techie, so it'll appear on the techie zone blog as it evolves.

Been having the annoyance of a dodgy internet ... I went a long period where I just wasn't interested in playing online games but now the interest is rising again, it gets highly frustrating when your enjoyment of the online game gets blocked by you getting knocked offline every few minutes ... One of the things I've tried is to try out different ways of connecting up my PCs to see if that makes an improvement. Which brings me to the Science Project :-)

I back up my iTunes library reasonably often - and now it's gotten rather big (11GB, almost 3000 songs !) it takes a while to copy it from laptop to desktop. Especially when the wifi card on the desktop apparently isn't too good :

Copy using wifi - I gave up after over 2 hours
Copy using a wire link - About an hour :-)

So that's my Science Project - checking out how fast I can wing the Bits around. Lot more boring than growing Alien Life Forms in the fridge. Dinner's about to come out of the oven and it's gaming tonight, so this one will take a little while to implement. Curious about the results ...

Oh - highlights of the new additions to the library are :

Bat For Lashes (aka Natasha Khan) - well worth a listen this girl
Goldfrapp - I'd recommend Supernature if you're into something loud or Seventh Dream for more relaxed and ethereal
KT Tunstall - curious :-)

Addon - Having Goldfrapp's Supernature on in the car makes you drive 10mph faster. Fact.

4 comments:

  1. The science project should keep you out of trouble? LoL :)

    There is nothing more frustrating than a dodgy internet connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I need to buy more wires ...

    I've run out of different setups I can play with !

    And I reckon I've been sold a lemon with the wifi card that went into my desktop :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobkat; the words 'science project' and 'sleepypete' in the same sentence fill me with fear... :-)

    Especially when he includes words like 'petrol' and 'matches'....

    cq

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still refining that recipe for napalm. Need the mix just right before I embark on clearing the back yard.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.