Monday, July 21, 2008

Parking Obsession

The place where I work has two car parks to serve the site, I park in the smaller one of the two (usually). There's a couple of rows in there reserved for Greenie people who come to work with an extra body in the passenger seat, the rest is fair game. The 2+ ones are of course the closest ones to the offices.

There's another rule that says these 2+ spots become fair game after 9.30am, when most of the people who are tied to taking kiddies to school have completed their business.

Now because there's not quite enough room in the car park for everyone, the gate people have usually put up a sign by 9am telling us to go to the car park at the other end of the site. That's like, Shrug, No Big Deal, More much needed Exercise for me. Sometimes (think rainyday) the car park full sign is up by 8.45am ... Much too early for a late worm like me.

With those rules, you'd think that people turning up around 9.10am and seeing the sign would turn their cars around and head to the other car park ? Well, you would wouldn't you ? Nah ... 9.15am when I appeared this morning (Flexitime is great !), there were 4 cars quite happily queuing up, itching to get those 2+ spots when they became fair game ...

Seems nuts to me ... Even with a longer walk across site (good for you that), I was probably at my desk minutes before they even got past the gate ! Plus I'm not that good at sitting still, after about 2 minutes waiting I'd have climbed through the windows, after wishing I had a sunroof I could climb out of.

I definitely don't understand the Mob sometimes, or is it just that I like to crack on with stuff when others would like to sit and wait doing nothing. The 2+ idea is a decent one, as it encourages people to be a bit more economical with their parking. Not to mention it being great if you were taking a passenger in anyway ... But I don't get much advantage from that preferential treatment now because I'm no longer living with someone who works on site. (Sometimes CK gets a lift, which gets me in 2+, but our getting up times aren't in sync lately ...)

(the crazyparkqueuers probably kept their engines running too for that 15 minute wait to get 100 yards closer to their desk ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.