Sunday, July 06, 2008

A definite Yey! moment

I'm stuck a little for knowing what game I want to waste my time with at the moment, so I'm looking at the old ones again.

This time it's the turn of Rowan's Battle of Britain, a fairly old one that has two modes. One mode has you in the position of the air commander for Britain's defence in Summer 1940. The second mode has you jumping into the cockpit of a Hurricane or Spitfire to do your part from the flyboy's seat. (You can also fly as the Germans)

However, when this game came out, it had a critical bug where the game would crash in the campaign mode after just a few minutes of waving the mouse around. I could go into the technical details but that wouldn't add much. So why the "Yey!" moment ? I'm currently reading through the manual for the official patch and hidden in there is my name, given credit for spotting the root cause of this particular bug. I didn't fix it but my fault finding efforts allowed the BDG developers to squish da bug within about 2 days of being notified.

Having credit like that gives you the belief that occasionally, you do actually know what you're talking about with software :-) I don't get that all that much at work, because the technical content is mainly with the contractor with us looking after project management. And project management is far less interesting (to me) than seeing what's happening with the Wiggly Amps.

Oh - it's also just started raining at Wimbledon. Nadal is up by 2 sets at the moment but Federer has a chance to get back into it. Good game so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.