Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lotsa movies :-)

Been getting through the movies this weekend :-) As well as watching cricket and a bit more World of Warcraft (in moderation).

The big one of the weekend was :


Awesome film, they did a really good job with one of the more "real" seeming superhero types. Robert Downey Jr is outstanding in the lead role, with his Tony Stark being an eccentric oddball with quirky sense of humour. It was fun, which is what entertainment is supposed to be. Gwyneth Paltrow was up to her usual high standards too as Miss Pepper Potts.

What else have I watched ? Ok - long list time. There's Starship Troopers off dvd, ahead of watching Starship Troopers 2 which was on sci-fi channel yesterday. I like the first film, it's a decent interpretation of the book, while putting its own spin on things. It's got me wanting to read the original Heinlein book again :-) The second is a major letdown though, no surprise that it bombed. The black humour of the first just isn't there.

Also been watching Mission To Mars, which was better than I expected. However, I think the other Mars film that came out that year is better and not just because Red Planet had a shower scene with Carrie Ann Moss :-) Not seen Red Planet for a while, must do so to remind myself how they dealt with the spacecraft engineering. Space travel has always fascinated me and the near future sci-fi films set around space usually have a decent science/engineering background in how they set up their disaster situations.

It's now the latest adaptation of The Andromeda Strain, which so far is following the model of the first albeit with the characters switched around a little. The epileptic doctor is now Daniel Dae Kim, now playing geek mode. After seeing his stronger, athletic characters, the contrast will be interesting.

The dinner bell just went off, so I gotta retrieve the charcoal from the oven. If you're interested in sci-fi movies and haven't seen Iron Man yet, Go For It !!!!

4 comments:

  1. I would watch Robert Downey Jr. read the phone book. I reckon I'd even pay for the privilege. Funny, but movies like this usually aren't my thing. But get an actor like him in one and I'll be there in a heartbeat. Thanks for the reco. On my way...

    Come to think of it, you've reminded me that I never got arould to seeing Starship Troopers. I'll need to rectify that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [chuckle] The first Starship Troopers is a work of art but it is very definitely a Paul Verhoeven film, with all that the tag entails. It's similar yet very different to the Heinlein book, you'd need to see it to know how. The second Starship Troopers is eminently missable.

    Daniel Dae Kim did ok in Andromeda Strain - they put a little more in than was there in the old film, still wondering if it added or blurred.

    PS I have a really old copy of Starship Troopers - it's kinda quaint having to turn the disc over halfway through !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Iron Man but then I like Robert Downey Jr nearly as much as CQ likes Monsieur Depp. I'm with Carmi, I would pay to watch him read the phone book!

    Star Ship Troopers is a great film but the second is awful beyond words. They are making a new one and it looks much better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not like the bit after the credits though....did not ring true to the storyline.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.