Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Fill-ins (and sidetracking into a little cricket theory)

Another Friday Fill-ins :-) I don't always get around to doing one of these and they're always fun to do. For more, have a peek at Janet's site here.

1. On my laziest day I like to put the music on and read, read, read !
2. Solving problems makes me feel like I'm being productive.
3. I love little waves and big smiles, especially when they're from someone pretty :-).
4. This summer I want to actually play in a game of cricket for a change !
5. Curiosity on whether I could maintain it and a need to talk a few things through made me start my blog.
6. Red cricket balls are what the game should be played with and orange swingypractice balls are just cheating.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to just plain chill out, tomorrow my plans include watching every single ball in the cricket and Sunday, I want to catch the baseball game cos I have Monday off !

The balls thing is a cricket practice thing - there's special ones made differently, in order to amplify whatever movement the ball might made through the air. Cricket balls can move when they bounce (because the seam makes them not round) but will also move left or right when going through the air. It needs the players looking after the ball in the right way - it's actually possible to change a ball that goes arrow straight into one that will curve inside about an hour's practice.

However, when coaches are trying to teach swing, they'll use these special practice balls which go all over the place. I don't like them because they actually swing too much, I don't think the person being taught learns the technique and control. They certainly don't learn how to look after the ball.

Anyway - that's me poking holes in coaches taking shortcuts that lead to incomplete knowledge transfer. Time to get back to chilling out with cricket watching, book, telly and marathon World of Warcraft sessions :-)

1 comment:

  1. It's funny...I can't listen to music when I read. In fact, my favorite place to listen to music is in my car, close second is while playing cards or board games with friends.

    Hope you're enjoying your weekend, thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.