Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thursday Thirteen - Net Lessons

Cheating and making Blogger delay this until Thursday ! Ok, so net session tonight, what did I get out of it :

1 - I can't bowl. Ok, I can bowl but very, very slowly. Which means "GRENADE!!!!" type lobbing of the ball, which is completely and utterly useless. If I put any power into the action, then the mechanical hitch takes over and messes up the delivery. And I need that power to bowl either seam or spin. No bowling.

2 - Batting was surprisingly good. Muscle memory was still there, technique was active and the feet were moving.

3 - Shots were coming all round, I just need to use them in matches.

4 - I can play the Pietersen switch hit !!!!!! And it's surprisingly easy to pull off. It's actually easier than doing a reverse sweep. Can't say I'll use it in games because it needs slow bowling and the right field but it's an option.

5 - I still have the batting flaw which means I can't hit balls that come down 6 inches outside leg stump. And those are supposed to be meat & drink 4 balls. Just can't get to them.

6 - The run to Yate does wonders for the car mpg. Car went from 48mpg to 49mpg on the night.

7 - Even though I can't bowl, I got value out of the session by standing behind the stumps and impersonating a wicket keeper. Even managed to take a few, including a high wide fast one taken one handed standing up close.

 8 - I think I need to buy some keeping gloves as the kit bag gloves were a little big. (I have little pinkys)

 9 - Ow. Owowowow OUCH. My legs need a hell of a lot more conditioning than they currently have as the batteries were running out very quickly. But they appreciated me having less ballast.

10 - Nets worked up an appetite. I was incredibly hungry when I got home and nearly started snacking before my shower.

11 - Tomorrow will be "interesting" (in the historical sense) as I have a mandatory training presentation to sit through. That will be absolute perfect conditions for making sure I become a statue by lunchtime.

12 - Bruise count is a shiner to come on my right thigh, probably one on my left thigh and a mystery bruise on my left hand between thumb and finger. My back (lower lumbar area, under and between the kidneys) is what's making it curious to bend down.

13 - It was totally, utterly worth it. Despite the disappointment of having absolutely nothing available for bowling. Hopefully more people will appear next week as we only had 4 of us tonight, 2 of whom (not me) could bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.