Saturday, July 28, 2012

Strangely musicless Saturday

Must be the first time for a very long time I haven't listened to any music on a Saturday.

Reason ? Wall to wall Olympics :-)

Come on ! You couldn't have expected anything else from a sport nut :-)

BBC are doing us proud with the coverage that they're offering us. There's 24 HD channels available, alongside them using their normal channels for Olympics coverage. Yes, it's cutting into the normal schedules a bit but ... it's a once in 4 years event.

The opening ceremony was pretty good last night. (I'd read a review cos my words wouldn't do it justice.) It kept me interested all the way through, with quintessential British quirkiness throughout. It's a little bit sad though how it ended, I can see why Macca had his microphone turned off in one of his recent concerts, his hamfisted performance took some of the gloss off. Gis Dr Who instead of has-been.

Today, I've been keeping an event up on the main telly plus I've been swapping between events on my desktop monitor. It works far better than depending on what the TV directors decide to show you. On something like the cycling road race, you get the full story of the race not just the soundbites. The internet based coverage has been working pretty well too (glitches forgiven).

So far I've watched :

Cycling road race - where Britain were expected to push Mark Cavendish to a gold medal. Dead cert. Nah ... didn't happen that way, all the best plans have a tendency to fall apart at the first sight of the enemy and this was no exception. They had no answer to an early breakaway that although wasn't decisive, laid the groundwork for a later breakaway that was.

Judo - this was pretty awesome (at least half of it). Take pint sized women of 48kg (7.5st) or below. That's just over half my weight from before the diet started. (I'm now 12.5 to 12.75st). These ladies could tie me in a knot and throw me around like a ball, without breaking a sweat. I wanted the Romanian Alina Dimitru to win, just for seeing how happy she would be. When her semi final finished, she couldn't contain the thrill, she was bouncing around and yelping like a mad thing. It would have been awesome to see that repeated after the final.

Also been watching - archery, which had drama all the way to the finish. And I wanted the Italians to win for wearing funny hats too.

I had a little bite of shooting, turning over just in time to see the last few shots.

I'm now on Tennis, with Andy & Jamie Murray on the big telly and Anne Keovathong on the monitor. Both games could go either way.

And that's just scratching the surface of what's on. It's not just Olympics either, the "big" (only 32") telly had the F1 qualifying on earlier and I'll have the race on tomorrow.

Swimming later but before that, I hear the ticking of the clock that will set off the dinner bell ... enjoy your evenings !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.