Saturday, February 11, 2012

Grindy, grindy

Lately I've been enjoying yet another run through of Deus Ex Human Revolution. It's rare that I'll play through an entire game straight away after completing it the first time (variation is good) and it's even rarer that I'll play through one three times on the bounce.

Yet I'm currently going for the third run, albeit with different objectives. The aim this time around is to harvest as many of the remaining Steam achievements as possible and by the end of this run, I'll hopefully only have just 3 to go.

Big targets this time :
Pacifist - Get through the entire game without killing anyone. This isn't easy ... I've had to do one set piece the bad way because there's a massive chance that exploding a robot will also kill bad guys who you've already knocked out.
Foxiest of the Hounds - Get through the entire game without setting off the alarms.

(To do later : Beat the game on hardest difficulty, peek at all the items in Megan's office at the start, see all the endings)

Going for those two achievements has added more interest to the usual play through and makes you appreciate the stealthy approach. The game rewards you for that, not in equipment (which is plentiful anyway) but in making your character advance quicker. Getting through a level without being seen gives more experience than knocking out all the bad guys. Knocking people out rather than going for the lethal approach gives quicker advancement too.

And by bypassing a lot of the bad guys, it's also been less of a grind. The pacifist approach is a lot quieter than having a sniper rifle boom away across the level, making the bad guys come running.

It's that Grindiness that's key though.

I seem to be migrating to games that are built around dynamic stories. I like the progression as the game goes along. The story has to be fairly tight though, as really open ended ones like the X space games and Bethesda's usual output tend to turn me off. I prefer grand strategy campaign games where the world is persistent, I didn't enjoy real time strategy games where the strong base you built in Mission 1 would be irrelevant in successive missions. And some strategy games hugely resemble the grind through wearing down the game by attrition.

Bit like novels. I've given up on a few novels lately, because they resemble the grind that turns me off certain games. I've quit reading Star Wars books because the Yuuzhan Vong sequence got really unpleasant and definitely a depressing grind.

David Weber's Honorverse books used to be a lot of fun, with fairly tight plotlines built around focused space battle action. They've gone very bloaty now though, with 1000 page books with nary a nuke to explode anywhere. The fun factor went out of them as the politics came in. I've been struggling with reading Game Of Thrones. Something needed to happen within the first 200 pages of sheer grind of character set up to keep me interested. (I'll go back into Game of Thrones at some point). All I can say is that the script writing for the TV series must have been incredible to make it so popular.

Currently reading Stark's War by Jack Campbell (aka John G. Hemry) which I'm enjoying. A trademark of Jack Campbell's books is that they flow well and when the action starts, what you're reading makes sense and keeps focus. A crucial key of science fiction is that it has to remain consistent with itself and the rules that it declares. Departures from that (David Weber is badly guilty here with magic new tech) make the reader doubt the credibility of the series.

Right :

Games - fun when they're tightly focused around a well written storyline. Hopefully Mass Effect 3 will be a fitting conclusion to the series, avoiding some of the grind of the first 2 games.
Books - enjoying Jack Campbell (and sometime I must read one by Thumper), giving up on David Weber and Game of Thrones.
Games & Books - there's more crossover now than people might think. Instead of reading what's on the page, you're writing your own variation of the story with how you approach the situations presented.

England's in trouble in the rugby though, time to turn my attention back to that for the last 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Phew ! Managed to go through the whole game satisfying the conditions for the achievements.

    Won't do that again on purpose :-) (I like the Malik character too much)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.