Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thematic Photographic - Aged

This post brought to you courtesy of a theme from the wonderful blog of Carmi Levy :-)

Thematic Photographic is something Carmi does weekly, with a different theme each week. I've not put in a Thematic Photographic before because I've always struggled to think of something worthy. This week it's "Aged" and I think I have a suitable piccy :-)

Here goes :


That's my last cricket hat and I hope the different colours show the effect of ageing ...

You're currently looking at the underside of the hat, the part that never got exposed to the sun. The dark blue is how the hat started life, the light purple is what the sun did to it. Yep - that's a lot of UV rads hitting that hat to bleach it so much ! I don't play nearly as much cricket as I used to but when I did, that hat was kinda like stapled to my head. I'd wear it all the time, except when I was bowling. I'm a bit older and wiser now, so I wear a helmet when I bat. The occasional dark spot is actually blood - I was wearing this hat when I broke my nose.

I should probably wash that hat ! I haven't worn it since I broke the nose, it was one of the things that got changed with the rest of my kit. So there's definite signs of age. The hat held together extremely well on top of a muppet who dived around in the field far more than was healthy but was well on the way to turning white from all the UV !

PS Was highly curious to spot another of my retired cricket hats at my sister's place at Xmas ... Yep, she's still got the white hat that I retired after it got moldy ... I made the mistake of leaving it in a golf bag that got rather damp due to typical English summer rain. And that white hat must have been about 18 years old ! I think the one above must be 16 years old.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:04 pm

    Ouch. A broken nose! That must have been one rough game of cricket! Nice aged hat, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol - not that rough.

    T'was completely, totally, utterly my own fault :-) Had a ricochet from my own bat that sent ball on to my nose ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the hat took the UV rays and not the top of your head!

    Thanks for driving CQ round the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never quite grasped cricket, but I think I'd like it if I understood it. Any sport that includes lunch as part of the play has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It did an excellent job of keeping the rain off too :-)

    Ahh - Mojo you shoulda seen some of the things we got for the teas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is "aged" by use more than years. Very good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cricket includes lunch as part of the play? Being from the US, I have never seen a cricket game played.

    This was an interesting glimpse into your life. I am glad that you are now wearing safety equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be looking to post up another cricket related piece of cloth later ... that's actually older than the hat :-)

    Yep - Football has half time, other games have quarters ... cricket has sessions. A 4 day game or Test Match has 3 sessions in a day, which are supposed to be 2 hours long each. Lunch comes between morning and afternoon session and Tea comes between afternoon and evening. In a One day game, Lunch/Tea comes in the middle :-)

    There's drinks breaks as well but Lunch and Tea are when the players will come off the field to have a munch and recharge.

    Safety stuff - yep, I learned my lesson there, although I never went Michelin Man. I wear a helmet as well as the pads and gloves now, although I avoid things like arm guards, chest protectors and thigh pads. Too much protection can actually mean more bruises ... as a blow you might have avoided ends up hitting you !

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.