Friday, January 23, 2009

A Musical Friday Fourteen (errrr - make that Fifteen)

I've not done a Thursday Thirteen for a while, which is a shame cos I enjoy thinking up things to put in the 13 :-) Events have moved on a little though and the Thursday Thirteen hub has closed its doors to allow the people behind it to concentrate their efforts on those events that have moved on.

But ! I'd been wondering about ideas for next post and for some reason the idea of a Friday Fourteen based on music popped into my head :-) That could have been something to do with Coldplay's Trouble coming over the iTunes Party Shuffle :-) So, in the tradition of the musical Thursday Thirteen's I did a little while ago, here is a musical Friday Fourteen that'll be showing off some of the better tracks that are coming over my iTunes party shuffle at the moment. Youtube links will be provided where I can find them.

1 - Coldplay's Trouble. Only got introduced to Coldplay a few months ago but I never knew what I was missing. Whereas I ignored Travis because everything they came out with was the same, everything I hear from Coldplay is high quality and original.

2 - Kirsty MacColl's Days. How beautiful is this song ? And how much of a shame is it that this wonderful voice was taken from us way before its time.

3 - Dire Straits - Expresso Love. It's not the best track that Mark Knopfler has been responsible for but it's one that's really shown off what the new Airport Express link can do. Get this track on decent speakers and you'll hear all the interplay between guitar, piano and voice. Lots of intricate work in here. If you've not heard much Knopfler-music, then Making Movies (the album this track is from) is well worth picking up.

4 - Pink Floyd's - Wish You Were Here. One of the tracks that's guaranteed to perk my ears up for a listen, has been for a very long time. Here's the version from Live 8, which does a good job with the intro which is what really makes this song special.

5 - Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven. Come on ! You musta heard this track before :-)

6 - Duffy's Delayed Devotion. Mercy is what attracted me to Duffy's Rockferry album but this is one of the more special songs on the album. Going to be wishing this girl luck for the awards that are coming up, she deserves a few for Rockferry :-)

7 - The Hoosiers - Worried About Ray. Not quite sure what to make of these guys. Not bad and this one is the best on the album that I bought on the strength of the Lovestoned cover from Live Lounge 3. Interesting :-) (just finished watching the video - great stuff)

8 - Paramore - Let The Flames Begin. Another interesting group, will keep an eye on these. They contribute to the soundtrack for the recent Twilight film. And that cannot be her natural hair colour. (note - not great quality there ... erm - I mean the audio!)

9 - Goldfrapp - Road to Somewhere. Why is it that I have a thing for ladies who sing with incredible voices ? I think this is the best track off the Seventh Dream album.

10 - Evanescence - My Immortal. I bought their Fallen album out of speculation, based on some of the music that's graced Warcraft videos. One word - Wow. It's not what the purists will like but there's so much emotion here.

11 - Lene Marlin - How Would It Be. I bought Lene Marlin's first album, Playing My Game, a good few years ago now on the strength of the excellent Sitting Down Here single. It then gathered a heap of dust on the shelf before I put it into iTunes. Not too much time later, I have all 3 of Lene Marlin's albums :-) And all three are very good indeed. Here's a track from the Lost In A Moment album that CQ bought me for Xmas. Also, so good to hear someone sing just as well live as in the studio.

12 - Paul Weller's Wild Wood. Bit different to what I usually go for but this is an exceptional song.

13 - Soul singer Seal. Always been a fan of this fella's distinctive gravelly voice, here is his interpretation of an old classic, Knock On Wood.

14 - And to finish - the Star Wars end theme penned by John Williams. Yep, I now have 7 cds worth of Star Wars music in my iTunes library ! As well as a couple of Ennio Morricone (Spaghetti Westerns) cds.

Wot no Snow Patrol ! Ran out of room for these guys :-( I'm a little disappointed in Songs For Polar Bears but one not so good amongst the 3 gems of Eyes Open, Final Straw and what I've heard so far of A Hundred Million Suns can't be bad :-) I've also been listening to a bit of Dusty Springfield and Nina Simone lately, which only didn't get in above cos I didn't see them in the library quickly enough !

No Arctic Monkeys either ! Lol - time to introduce A Certain Romance and turn this into a Friday Fifteen.

PS Techie note - love the moving thumbnail preview of a window that Vista puts up when you hover over a taskbar button. It was letting me have a look at the Youtube video while tapping stuff here :-)

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm shocked there's no Snow Patrol there, either! Looks like they should be :)

    Glad I came by... Thanks for sharing the list!

    I'm also here because I wanted to invite you to come over and play the MEET n' GREET this weekend! I'd love to have you a part of the fun... :)

    Have a great weekend!

    http://netchick.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol - I hear and obey :-)

    And I caught an extremely heartwarming story too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I listen to mostly Punk, I have to agree on the Star Wars. I particularly like the theme during the parade at the end of Episode I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...and NetChick sent me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol - spookily enough, the track that's currently playing is the 9 minute sequence that includes the end bit of Episode 1 ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Based on some of what you listed, it looks like we have similar taste in music. and you have things I haven't heard...always a good thing to find new stuff to listen to. Thanks :)

    Here via Net Chick today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew there was someone I hadn't visited for far too long* - Hello Thumper :-)

    *(I blame Blogrolling's troubles - need to use that second blog of mine to testdrive a workaround...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I popped by from Tanya's to say one thing: DAMN, you have amazing taste in music!

    In so many cases - Knopfler, Evanescence, The Hoosiers... - I saw absolutely clearly why you'd chosen them. In others, you've given me some new artists to appreciate. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. [biggrin] One reason why I've turned into a big fan of iTunes is cos it lets me listen to all the variation in what I have ...

    Before iTunes, I'd just listen to the same cds over and over again and a lot of the others would just gather dust. Now, I'm using the Party Shuffle to queue up what's coming next, which also lines up some interesting stuff on its own random initiative.

    And iPodFM is also a lot easier to handle in the car than fumbling with cds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish you were here is such a beautiful song. Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin...I can listen to them all day long and not get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops forgot to mention...

    Tanya (NetChick) sent me here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta cue up Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall again soon - not listened to them on the decent speakers for a while :-)

    That's another thing about playing less games lately - it's easier to listen to music when reading a book than to listen while playing a game :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have loved Seal since the early 90s, he's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.