Friday, May 12, 2006

Zoomzoom

Karting tonight (or rather last night)

I'm still winding down from it ... Hopefully I'll be able to get up tomorrow morning ! It was an endurance event tonight, with 16 teams of 6. As you can imagine, with 16 karts zipping around on a track that takes only about 35-36 seconds to do a lap, it was pretty busy ...

I started off for our group in 5th and I don't think I did too bad. I think we were still 5th when my stint was over. I could maybe have gone quicker, perhaps I need to lose some more weight. I did struggle to come to terms with the track though. However, after that partial disappointment, I closed the gap a little to our ringer and regular karter ... My best lap was 35.02 seconds, his was 34.13 seconds. Last time we went karting, he was a full second ahead on a shorter lap ... so I'm catching him up :-).

So I wasn't the fastest ... but I was one of our most consistent, which is what's needed in an endurance event. The race started at about 8.45 and lasted 2 hours 30, so you can imagine the time I got home !

How did we do ? Well, we were the only team from our office at an event organised by our main contractors. They're gonna hate us for weeks. MUAHAHAHA !!!! We won, we got the medals, we took home the champers and we're going to keep those medals in plain sight for all the visitors from the contractor. That's why they're gonna hate us :-).

Consistency won us the night, we had one really fast guy who made up about 6 laps and 5 who were all up with the pace. We didn't make mistakes, drawing I think only 2 penalty flags.

My body's going to hate me tomorrow, especially my upper body. It's not used to driving a heavy handling kart for 25 full minutes. Definitely fun though :-)

Special mention goes to the organisers because the event wasn't just about the karting, we also raised £900 for a children's charity (I'll supply the name when I get it). Hope the girl who got a banged/sprained ankle will be ok, she was cute. But not as cute as the slim dark haired girl or the blonde who was bouncing up and down, drawing attention after showing how much she enjoyed her spell at the wheel. Which is what it's all about, lots of people had fun there tonight, including me !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.