Thursday, May 24, 2018

Book 17 - Redshirts

I have to admit, I'm falling behind on the books again.

But I'm still reading far more than average :-). It's been good to get back into the regular reading again.
The latest book is Redshirts by John Scalzi, which I actually finished about a week or so ago.

Great book ! I shall be checking out more from the author. I'd thoroughly recommend this one as a light hearted bit of fluffy scifi.

What's it about ? You know the Star Trek trope where the Captain and his Bridge Crew go down to the planet, dive into the dangerous situation and they all come back alive except for the security people wearing the red shirts ? Yep. This book is about the people wearing the red shirts.

It introduces its premise straight away, with an ill fated away mission. And then it bridges forward to a future where the main characters, new recruits to the ship, are introduced.

The characters quickly figure out what's going on. Their ship, the Intrepid, has a vastly higher death rate than the rest of the ships in the fleet. Except for core members of the crew that is. This leads to the rest of the crew attempting to avoid those core members as much as they can. Because if they are noticed or become part of an away team, death is likely to follow.

The book is heavily about our set of red shirted lieutenants and ensigns and enlisted and how they figure out what's going on with the story then leading them into what they plan to do about it. Can they change their fate before they too join the ranks of the red shirt fallen ?

That's for the book. I could see where the book was going but the fun bit was in the what do they do about it ? I didn't really see that coming and it was highly amusing.

But the author is a massive troll ! I'm not saying why. Ok. The ending is ... a tad different to the normal for a book like this. Kinda ... sudden :-D. I've said too much there.

It's a fun book ! And I bet any Trekkie would get a kick out of it.

Next up is Babylon's Ashes, book 6 in the Expanse series and the last one I'll read for a while. I'll hold off on getting the rest until they get cheaper. No need to pay £10 on a book that will be much cheaper in a few months, especially as there are another couple in the series afterwards. I can wait.

I don't think I can wait until leave happens though. I didn't think I was burnt out this time around but I think it's crept up on me. I'll be glad to chill out for next week, although there are things to be sorted out. Definitely looking forwards to Comic Con on Sunday and there will be pictures ....

I wonder what we'll find there ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.